Sharing experience and hoping to learn more -- IBS-M -- FODMAP diet - Your Story - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo
- - - - -

Sharing experience and hoping to learn more -- IBS-M -- FODMAP diet

IBS-M research FODMAP IBS diet

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 alexho

alexho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:25 AM

Advertisement

I am 53 years old male. I have always had bad digestion -- for most of my life, I have been pretty lean finding it difficult to put weight on. My main symptom is frequent strong bloating.

Since my twenties, I have seen numerous gastroenterologists, dietitians and naturopathic doctors. At my twenties, I was diagnosed with strong ragweed pollen allergy, and I was advised to cut back on certain food, including milk / lactose. Eliminating lactose significantly decreased my bloating. For a couple of decades, I managed to keep my IBS under control by regular exercise and watching was my diet -- avoiding too much fat, sweet and processed food. Since my twenties, I have had caffeine sensitivity and I eating chocolate and nuts have upset my stomach.

Five years ago, I had an appendicitis operation. SInce the operation, my IBS symptoms worsened. I seem to get bloated by food that I could have before. For example, I used to eat apple every morning,and I was fine eating salad with raw onion and garlic seasoning. Not any more. One of my doctors suggested that I look into the FODMAP diet. I have been eating low FODMAP for about a year now.

In theory, the FODMAP diet is only a temporary elimination diet. However, I find, my ability to reintroduce and cope with non low FODMAP food is very limited. At this point, my experience is that I need to minimize FODMAP intake as much as possible.

I find, beside low-FODMAP diet, regular exercise is key for keeping my symptoms under control. It is a very difficult balance for me -- to have regular bowel movements, I need to regularly exercise, but in order to exercise, I need to eat carbs, and I understand carbs come with FODMAP.

The details of my "low-FODMAP" diet are the following.

Veggies I do/can regularly eat --  spinach, tomato, cucumber, lettuce, arugula, reddish, rutabagas, potato, firm tofu

Veggies I also eat -- some broccoli; soaked and cooked beans, chickpeas and lentils; spaghetti squash -- not sure if this works

Carbs I do/can regularly eat -- white rice, millet, some oats, sourdough bread and ezekiel sprouted bread

Carbs I cannot eat -- includes whole wheat/rye bread and bakery products; brown rice; quinoa, corn bread

Nuts I do/can regularly eat -- some soaked walnut, pecans and almond

Nuts I cannot eat -- includes raw or roasted walnut, pecan and almond; all hemp, flaxseed and peanuts

Fruits I do/can regularly eat -- orange, strawberry and grapes

Fruits I cannot eat -- includes apple, peach, blueberry, pineapple

Protein I do/can regularly eat -- first of all firm tofu; some home prepared soaked and cooked legumes; lean meat 

Protein I cannot eat -- includes dairy; meat with onion or garlic seasoning, or cream sauce

Beverages and sweets I cannot have -- includes all caffeinated drinks incl'ing Kombucha and green tea; chocolate / cocoa; honey -- maple syrup is okay 

Supplements: 

• daily 2000 IU D3, plus some B12;
  • I take HCL Pepsin tablets before eating -- I recently concluded that I have low stomach acid and taking HCL Pepsin before meals helps me digest better legumes as well as fatty food (eg. eggs, as well as vegetable oils)

I would love to hear about other people's experience with FODMAP.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-M research, FODMAP, IBS diet

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here