Not being able to fart - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Not being able to fart

bloating gas proctitis not farting IBS-C dysmotility inflammation pain

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andrew.rivers

andrew.rivers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:30 PM

Advertisement

Almost 3 years ago, a nasty GI problem appeared in my life. My gastrointestinal transit as a whole is much slower, things seem to pass in a much more...difficult manner. I have chronic constipation, our as doctors would put it, IBS-C. But concerning constipation, linaclotide, along with a stimulant laxative (if necessary) and the off glycerine suppository can more or less deal with it. The problem is the immense pressure in my rectum. Even if my bowells are empty (or at least, the large intestine), I still feel immense pressure and pain, which radiates to my entire abdomen, lower back and tailbone. But so far, nothing has worked. Medications like simethicone/dimethicone don't do anything (oddly enough, I feel more gas stuck in the sigmoidal area of the intestine), Xifaxan had similar or no effects and other things that reduce gas (activated charcoal, for instance) don't help either. When I pass gas, it eases the symptoms, but I rarely do.

I've done an endoscopy, colonoscopy, a few x-rays, an MRI to the small intestine and several blood and stool tests to check intolerances, nutritional deficiencies and inflammation (fecal protectin, to be precise), but none showed anything other than a positive for antigliadin (but with no other more conclusive antibodies).

I'm just sick of feeling tired, aching, inflammated and with brain fog everyday, being stuck with this horrible condition for all this time, wasting these years of my youth (I'm a 26 year old male) being miserable and avoiding going out because of it. And the worst of all is that given the lack of signs of a "serious" condition, most just consider me hypochondriac and accuse me of making it sound worse than it really is, going as far as calling me psychotic and obsessive. This has gone for far too long. If anyone has experienced similar symptoms, I'd like to know what has/is helping. 

Almost 3 years ago, a nasty GI problem appeared in my life. My gastrointestinal transit as a whole is much slower, things seem to pass in a much more...difficult manner. I have chronic constipation, our as doctors would put it, IBS-C. But concerning constipation, linaclotide, along with a stimulant laxative (if necessary) and the off glycerine suppository can more or less deal with it. The problem is the immense pressure in my rectum. Even if my bowells are empty (or at least, the large intestine), I still feel immense pressure and pain, which radiates to my entire abdomen, lower back and tailbone. But so far, nothing has worked. Medications like simethicone/dimethicone don't do anything (oddly enough, I feel more gas stuck in the sigmoidal area of the intestine), Xifaxan had similar or no effects and other things that reduce gas (activated charcoal, for instance) don't help either. I've done an endoscopy, colonoscopy, a few x-rays, an MRI to the small intestine and several blood and stool tests to check intolerances, nutritional deficiencies and inflammation (fecal protectin, to be precise), but none showed anything other than a positive for antigliadin (but with no other more conclusive antibodies).

I'm just sick of feeling tired, aching, inflammated and with brain fog everyday, being stuck with this horrible condition for all this time, wasting these years of my youth (I'm a 26 year old male) being miserable and avoiding going out because of it. And the worst of all is that given the lack of signs of a "serious" condition, most just consider me hypochondriac and accuse me of making it sound worse than it really is, going as far as calling me psychotic and obsessive. This has gone for far too long. If anyone has experienced similar symptoms, I'd like to know what has/is helping.

#2 Jon1234

Jon1234

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 05:39 PM

Hi im gonna do a right up soon on my woes...my 2nd post...
Im an engineer...and my job is too fix things...i to cannot fart....
I have bought some silicone pipe 8mm...i put it in my anus 1 inch in...
It vents all on its own and my belly goes down...no more bloating

I use ky to get it in...been about a week now and now i sleep with it in. Ive been diagnosed with anismus...which as i cant pass gas or stool...i back up and stomach kicks off...i have no stomach issues for the past week.
I also do x3 enemas a day. As if the stool stays in it get compacted and stomach kicks off as blocked.

Not ideal...but its makes me less miserable.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

#3 mrcasual

mrcasual

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 05 March 2020 - 07:19 PM

Hi Andrew

As Jon1234 mentioned, please go and do a check for pelvic muscle dysfunction. Your symptom (not being able to fart) is probably a hyposensivity of your nerves inside your rectum. I have the same problem as well, together with anismus. What is happening is that inside your rectum, there is a certain pressure that is required to be reached in order the nerves to sense that something is inside there. When there is a problem there and the nerves cannot sense that on the correct pressure, the gas builts up and of course because is gas it can travel all over your intestine, it will expand your intestines until the certain pressure is being reach and then you will have the feeling of "fart", if you have anismus as well, that makes it even more difficult as your anus muscles tend to close instead of opening, so you will be able to release only a small amount of gas by straining and then your muscles will close, until builds up again. Is very frustrating and painful.

Please go and do the pelvic floor muscle test. More likely you will need to see a proctologist for that.

#4 Hocus-Pocus

Hocus-Pocus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:12 PM

I'm 65 yr old male, and I've been suffering with IBS-C (along with Ulcerative Colitis and Diverticulosis) for the last 30 or so years. I had a colon resection because of diverticulitis in 2004. I'm having the same issue as you, not being able to fart. It causes severe upper abdominal pain, under my rib cage. It also makes me feel weak. If I can fart, it reduces the pain a bit, but it's not lasting. Like you, I've had every test you can think of. But the docs can NEVER pin point a problem. I was just in the hospital last month due to severe pain. A CT scan was done and showed that the area of the resection was narrowed some (this has been stretched a couple times during colonoscopy. I had a colonoscopy done and they removed 2 polyps removed. But there was nothing else that showed up. I was treated like I came to the hosp just for pain medicine. I used to live in the Ft. Worth area and at one time used HEB Hospital. I had been there around 5 times in the last 5 years. The ash-whole doctor got really shitty with me and told me I shouldn't even be there for an IBS attack and that I was depleting their resources!!! I have a follow up visit with my regular GI doc in a couple weeks. I'm going to ask him about just going ahead and removing my colon if that would stop all this! I would at least like to have a few good years before I die!!

Edit: I've used Linzess, which helped with constipation. But then, I'll have diarrhea after that until later in the day. I don't know if I'll go back on it or not. But it hasn't helped with the gas build up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bloating, gas, proctitis, not farting, IBS-C, dysmotility, inflammation, pain

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here