Any experience with Colesevelam (Welchol) for IBS-D treatment? - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Any experience with Colesevelam (Welchol) for IBS-D treatment?

IBS-D

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Christophermcne

Christophermcne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:05 PM

Advertisement

I just recently started on Colesevelam; the generic version of the medication Welchol.  This medication is a bile acid sequesterant.  It is estimated that as many as 30 - 50% of IBS-D sufferers are actually having a problem with bile acid malabsorption, and this medication treats that.  I've heard a variety of success stories from people who've taken it, and I wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with it.  I'm approaching my third day of treatment and haven't noticed any significant changes in my situation (loose stools and urgency 2 to 3 times per day).  I'm curious how long it takes for the medication to kick in.  

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:34 PM

Didn't do a thing for me.

#3 dekkalife

dekkalife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:17 PM

If your IBS is actually caused by bile acid malabsorption, then you should notice and improvement almost immediately. Bile acid sequestrants didn't work for me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-D

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here