Gas-causing foods / fat as a trigger? - Gas / Flatulence / Bloating - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Gas-causing foods / fat as a trigger?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 grizzzlybear

grizzzlybear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:12 AM

Advertisement
I have had gas constantly for several months now - I was diagnosed with IBS, but it seems like that just means "there's something wrong but we don't know what". I tried following the low FODMAP diet, but it didn't get rid of my symptoms. I started cutting down on more and more foods that could be fermentable, and I'm now eating just meat and fish - I must be missing a lot of nutrition, but that's how desperate I am. I have been eating rice for a few days too, but it still contains starch and I have exams so I want to minimise any chance of gas rumbling in my intestines during the silence. I have had less gas on this extremely limited diet but I'm not cured.

My question is: I've read that fatty foods like red meat make gas worse. From what I can tell, the reason for that is that they slow down digestion so there's more time for food to ferment. If I'm only eating protein - am I correct in saying that protein does not ferment and therefore shouldn't be able to produce gas, so slower digestion shouldn't matter? I.E. can I eat red meat and fat without it causing gas? Or is there some information I'm missing?

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here