Horrible/ Chronic Gas - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Horrible/ Chronic Gas

IBS-CGas Pain in lower left abdomen dating

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Emita

Emita

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:15 PM

Advertisement

I used this website starting around 5 years ago and then stopped using it because I felt like the situation was/ is futile. I've been to the gastroenterologist who basically told me I just need to change my diet. After I finally paid off my medical bills, I decided I don't really need to pay $100 every several months to hear the same thing with no changes. The problem is there's no rhyme or reason (somewhat) to what gives me horrible gas. Obviously, the normal things that affect most people affects me, too: beans and greasy foods or pop. But, sometimes,  it seems like bread or dairy is the worst thing in the world for me, and other times, I'm fine. So, I'm wondering if being nervous about having gas and flare-ups causes me to have flare-ups. The only things I've noticed that have helped me a little with the gas is taking a pain killer to stop any cramping/ churning of the intestines, drinking water, taking Gas-X and Pepto-Bismol and hoping for the best. That being said, I'm still really, really gassy. I also am gassy even after bowel movements, as if it's not ever fully empty...?? My whole problem is that I've started going out with this guy, and I'm mortified for whenever there's going to be gassed passed in front of him because with how gassy I am, it's going to happen. I try so hard to hold them in and/ or relieve the amount of gas there is to begin with and it doesn't always work. When should I tell him that I have IBS? I've been out only twice with him. Does anyone have any solutions/ suggestions to reduce gas? I've tried laxatives and probiotics, which didn't really work, and Iberogast which gave me the opposite problem. I've also tried IBGuard, which didn't help either. Would peppermint tea help at all??? I'm beginning to think my body can't handle dating because of how gassy I am all the time. I'm sorry that this is so gross and embarrassing, but I'm at my wit's end. I'm dreading the day when I get dumped because I fart too much. 

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9920 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:13 AM

so sorry for your problems.   have you been tested for SIBO--small intestine  bacterial overgrowth?   one of the symptoms of SIBO is lots of gas. 

https://www.siboinfo.com/

i had lots of gas and tested positive for  SIBO.  after treatment, my gassiness was reduced.

hope you can find some relief.  take care.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 dac122

dac122

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:49 AM

Get checked for SIBO as Annie suggests. 

In case it is in part diet, I would suggest the FODMAP diet.  It is a temporary, highly structured and disciplined diet to determine which groups of foods have the affect.  You obviously already have a sense of some problem food, but hopefully it will help identify the problem foods to avoid. 

It works by putting you on a base low FODMAP diet for a short period (one to two weeks), then each week, for just a few days, you introducing increased amounts of potentially problematic foods.  You record the results, stop, "wash out" back to the base diet, and start the next group.  I am not big on these diets, but I found it to be the most logical, disciplined, scientific approach.  It is not designed to be a long term diet but to simply identify problems.  

#4 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:31 PM

I agree that it sounds like it could be SIBO. SIBO can cause frequent, very foul-smelling gas.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-CGas, Pain in lower left abdomen, dating

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here