Has Alternate medicine/Ayurveda worked for anybody - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Has Alternate medicine/Ayurveda worked for anybody

Ayurveda

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kenny

Kenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 01 February 2020 - 05:07 AM

Advertisement

Hello Folks , 

I am a 32 year old female from India .I have been suffering from IBS-D for about 6 years now. As I have mentioned in another post on this forum , Allopathic medicines have worked for me only partially.

After having used many drugs I was wondering whether it is time to try alternative medicines because there are many testimonials online where patients seem to have gotten a "permanent" cure to IBS.  Has anybody (especially other fellow Indians)  tried an "Ayurvedic"(alternative medicine originated in India) remedy that has worked ??

.Honestly, I am skeptical about whether " Ayurveda" really works or  it is just another money making scam .

Please do let me know in case any of you have managed to catch a break with "Ayurveda". Your inputs will be really appreciated.

#2 rajiv_gupta

rajiv_gupta

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:02 PM

i had tried ayurveda medication to treat IBS D, but it didn't do any good.

my experience was disappointing. 

#3 Kenny

Kenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:49 AM

i had tried ayurveda medication to treat IBS D, but it didn't do any good.

my experience was disappointing. 

Thank your input . In case i do decide to go ahead and is of any good , I ll keep this updated !

#4 beatingIBS

beatingIBS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:00 PM

Hello

I did it and it worked for me. But I advise to you when you do this always check up with your "real" doctor so that he knows what you're doing and can give you the heads if something you'll take can do more harm than good(for example affect your liver)

#5 rajiv_gupta

rajiv_gupta

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:58 AM

it is rather too early to decide on the efficacy of any treatment for IBS D, because this disease creeps back slyly.

observe the symptoms for at least six-seven months before declaring any course of treatment efficacious. 

#6 Kenny

Kenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 01 March 2020 - 05:43 AM

Hello

I did it and it worked for me. But I advise to you when you do this always check up with your "real" doctor so that he knows what you're doing and can give you the heads if something you'll take can do more harm than good(for example affect your liver)

Thank you for your response , I will heed your advice. I have two relatives who have tried ayurvedic treatments and it has cured them of the disease for good , no recurrence even after 20 plus years.

Could you please let me know the details of the medicine you tried ? 

#7 Kenny

Kenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 01 March 2020 - 05:54 AM

it is rather too early to decide on the efficacy of any treatment for IBS D, because this disease creeps back slyly.

observe the symptoms for at least six-seven months before declaring any course of treatment efficacious. 

Thank you for your response , I agree with you.

I have two relatives who have tried Ayurveda treatments and it has cured them of the disease for good , no recurrence even after 20 plus years.

Could you please let me know the details of the ayurvedic medicine you tried ? Even though it did not work for you , it would be very helpful to me if you shared the names of the medicine...

Here are the details of the ayurvedic medicines tried by a family friend about 2 years ago and he claims he has been cured of the disease.

Mebarid Capsule:

https://www.indiamar...6751817888.html

Zandu Kutaj Ghan Vati:

https://www.swasthya...han-vati-30-tab.

I will also share the medicines that were tried by my relative about 25 years ago and claims no recurrence even today.Unfortunately I dont have his complete list as it was 25 years ago and he does not remember , but i will try and find out

#8 beatingIBS

beatingIBS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 04 March 2020 - 06:02 PM

Thank you for your response , I will heed your advice. I have two relatives who have tried ayurvedic treatments and it has cured them of the disease for good , no recurrence even after 20 plus years.

Could you please let me know the details of the medicine you tried ? 

Hello

Since I'm not in India my nutritionist used the more approximate things to get the same effect.(she had training in India that's why she knew Ayurveda medicine). You should consult with an expert there so that the person can identify what's your dosha type(so if you're Vata, Pita or Kapha.probably it should be Vata since these affects people like us more often but it can happen to anyone that has the other dominant doshas as well).

Then based on that the treatment will be prescribed(even if a person has the same dominant dosha as yours, treatment can be significantly different)

Hope it shed some light to you

#9 Kenny

Kenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 05 March 2020 - 02:22 AM

Hello

Since I'm not in India my nutritionist used the more approximate things to get the same effect.(she had training in India that's why she knew Ayurveda medicine). You should consult with an expert there so that the person can identify what's your dosha type(so if you're Vata, Pita or Kapha.probably it should be Vata since these affects people like us more often but it can happen to anyone that has the other dominant doshas as well).

Then based on that the treatment will be prescribed(even if a person has the same dominant dosha as yours, treatment can be significantly different)

Hope it shed some light to you

Thank you !! Yes ,I do plan to consult an expert soon , just narrowing down on a reputed place as there are tons of clinics here in India and finding an authentic one becomes a challenge :-)

#10 beatingIBS

beatingIBS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 05 March 2020 - 12:46 PM

Just wanted to point out that IBS is not curable as per say. It is something that can be effectively put to remission(this is the correct word not cure), but if the reasons that lead to it's appearance in the first place return, IBS will return.

I don't know you exactly, but I can tell you that IBS usually is caused by some kind of intense physical/chemical and or emotional stress component. At the same time this can be exacerbated by intrinsic factors that can make you more prone to this(i.e the dominant dosha you have in your intestine using Ayurvedic medicine terminology or your enteric nervous and central nervous system using western medicine terminology). I don't want to elaborate more on this(I could) because I think this is something that should be discussed by you and your Ayurveda doctor and Western doctor. However if you still would like to know more you can always either PM me or see my own thread(Treatment for IBS-doubts and other possibilities), where I laid out everything I did in terms of treatment that lead me to where I am today.

My advice is if possible try to be followed by both schools of medicine. I did that for my case and I think using both western medicine and Ayurvedic therapeutics the effects were enhanced two fold probably.

Finally (and again I would like to stress this with much emphasis) IBS is not curable but is possible to achieve remission. At the same time don't expect treatments and "cures" to happen in a few days. It will take time to go from where you are to where you can say that you're in remission(it can take months or a year+...).

Take my word I was a person that literally had pain every day and had what seemed jolts of electricity running through my intestine on top of Diarrhea(which you can imagine was not the most pleasant thing) on top of other extra intestinal symptoms...

Hope you can get better.

• Akn1965 likes this

#11 Kenny

Kenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 March 2020 - 04:39 AM

Just wanted to point out that IBS is not curable as per say. It is something that can be effectively put to remission(this is the correct word not cure), but if the reasons that lead to it's appearance in the first place return, IBS will return.

I don't know you exactly, but I can tell you that IBS usually is caused by some kind of intense physical/chemical and or emotional stress component. At the same time this can be exacerbated by intrinsic factors that can make you more prone to this(i.e the dominant dosha you have in your intestine using Ayurvedic medicine terminology or your enteric nervous and central nervous system using western medicine terminology). I don't want to elaborate more on this(I could) because I think this is something that should be discussed by you and your Ayurveda doctor and Western doctor. However if you still would like to know more you can always either PM me or see my own thread(Treatment for IBS-doubts and other possibilities), where I laid out everything I did in terms of treatment that lead me to where I am today.

My advice is if possible try to be followed by both schools of medicine. I did that for my case and I think using both western medicine and Ayurvedic therapeutics the effects were enhanced two fold probably.

Finally (and again I would like to stress this with much emphasis) IBS is not curable but is possible to achieve remission. At the same time don't expect treatments and "cures" to happen in a few days. It will take time to go from where you are to where you can say that you're in remission(it can take months or a year+...).

Take my word I was a person that literally had pain every day and had what seemed jolts of electricity running through my intestine on top of Diarrhea(which you can imagine was not the most pleasant thing) on top of other extra intestinal symptoms...

Hope you can get better.

Thanks much ! I read your entire post ,I am low on Vitamin D too so I'll give that a shot. Also ,i didn't see anything on the post about you having tried Ayurvedic medicines , not sure if I missed it ...

I will keep you folks posted on me trials and tribulations with Ayurveda , plan to start seeing a doctor this week !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ayurveda

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here