Constipated every moment of every day with pain - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Constipated every moment of every day with pain

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ChronicTick

ChronicTick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:40 PM

Advertisement

Hi,

19 year old male here

I used to have IBS-D issues but now I have only Chronic Constipation. Every day I'm constipated. so bad that I was hospitalized with severe pain for hours back in august. since then my doctor has be on miralax, and some fiber.

I think I need to find the right balence of it or something, because after a while the fiber helped, then made it worse again. the pain gets so severre I'm almost screaming. (and i'm fairly pain intollereant).

I'm looking for suggestions. I'll be seeing my GI this week.

thanks.

#2 GJMody

GJMody

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2727 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:40 PM

Have you tried Motegrity...aka....prucalopride. Check with your doctor. This may help.

#3 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10231 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:37 AM

so sorry.  living with chronic constipation  is miserable.

that's good that you will be seeing a gastro doc  this week.  there are a number of constipation meds available--motegrity, zelnorm, amitiza,  linzess, trulance, ibsrela---so hopefully one of these will help you.   antispasmodics like librax or bentyl can help with pain if your pain is caused by colon spasms.

you might want to check out this thread. it has a lot of tips and tricks for dealing with chronic C.

https://www.ibsgroup...st-of-remedies/

everybody's different but fiber never helped me--in fact it only made me worse.  if your colon is already moving slowly, dumping more fiber in there can just back it up all the more.  that's exactly  what happened to me.

a lot of people here have had good success with an OTC laxative--Dr Schultz Intestinal Formula #1.  you might want to give that a try.  you can buy it on amazon or from the Dr Schultz webside if you can't find it in stores.

good luck with everything.  hope you can find some relief.  take care.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#4 Wendyintucson

Wendyintucson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:35 AM

I take Linzess daily & 400 mg stool softener twice weekly

#5 ChronicTick

ChronicTick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the replies all.

My appointment was moved to the 28th, as I was in too much pain to leave the house. I'll ask about some of this and see.

Thanks

#6 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10231 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:12 AM

thanks for the update.

so sorry you were having so much pain that you couldn't leave the house. i've read that linzess is also supposed to help with pain. 

good luck with your appointment.  hope your doc can help you.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#7 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2131 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 04:05 PM

Hi ChronicTick -

Read this whenever you have the time, it should help (click on below link to view):

http://www.ibsgroup....tion-aka-ibs-c/

Good luck & keep us posted!

#8 ChronicTick

ChronicTick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Doctor gave me a new lower dose of fiber to try, a different produce, and said if it gets worse to stop it immediately. I tried it, and it just got worse. I have to excessive levels of miralax (usually I take the recommended 17g, but some days I have to go up to 25.5g) in order to get it out of my body, and if I don't, I'm literally in pain that is the worse thing I've ever felt in my entire life. I mean, I'm fairly pain-tolerant, but this pain really makes me near scream. 

I believe further this started with misdiagnosis. I think back when I had bathroom issues after my diarrhea stopped, I assumed it was more of the same. So I took imodium to fix it - sometimes daily. This was WRONG and that is where my MAJOR constipation troubles started. Luckily, it only took me a month (july to august, 2019) to figure that out. Since then I've been struggling. In all honestly, I think what I was told about having IBS-D is totally wrong, my whole life I remember being constipated. My current doctor says that if one is very constipated, diarrhea may go through the space and come out - making you falsely think you have diarrhea. 

Anyways I literally don't know anymore what to do. I guess I'll call my doctor and ask for further assistance. Because this is really beginning to be problematic. Keep in mind, I've graduated high school (barely), but I cannot get a job or go to college. I can barely leave my house for longer than 15-20 minutes at a time most of the time. I'm really starting to lose hope.

#9 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10231 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:39 AM

please do not lose hope. 

as i mentioned earlier, there are a number of prescription constipation medications that you can try:  motegrity, zelnorm, amitiza,  linzess, trulance, ibsrela---so hopefully one of these will help you.   and there are stimulant laxatives, too.   a lot of people here have had good luck with Dr Schultz intestinal formula #1. 

also, check out this thread.  lots of good ideas here: 

https://www.ibsgroup...st-of-remedies/

antispasmodics like librax or bentyl can help with pain if your pain is caused by colon spasms.

#10 ChronicTick

ChronicTick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:50 AM

Thanks. All attempts with fiber again failed as usual. I am sick of it being suggested.

Those 2 have possible side effect of constipation, I'm not sure its a good idea considering how volatile my system is.

I will look into the rest... thank you

#11 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2131 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:29 PM

Thanks. All attempts with fiber again failed as usual. I am sick of it being suggested.

Those 2 have possible side effect of constipation, I'm not sure its a good idea considering how volatile my system is.

I will look into the rest... thank you

Fiber is a menace for a lot of us with constipation. Thankfully, there is a ton of different stuff you can try. I think I listed a bunch in my above post, yes? 

This is what I recommend (click on below link to view):

http://www.ibsgroup....-can-recommend/

Good luck and keep us posted!

• annie7 likes this

#12 traveler309

traveler309

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:03 PM

Would it help if I just drink liquids until I go to the bathroom usually I have diarrah now two days constipsted Im taking metamucil for almost two months its not working now

#13 mrcasual

mrcasual

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:22 PM

Please listen. What your symptoms are? Constipation or diarrhea can be caused by many factors. Do you have any pain? If yes what pain and where and when? What other symptoms do you have apart from constipation? Describe mention everything that comes to your head, even something that occurs rarely.

#14 ChronicTick

ChronicTick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 11:15 AM

Hi.. Thanks for replies.

Interestingly enough, just sticking with MiraLAX 17G once a day and avoiding fiber has kept me in decent shape for the past few weeks. Not perfect, still many pain sessions, but manageable. I could actually manage a job. But I forgot it one day, and I'm back to hell ville today.

For my pain, its a dull pain low below my stomach, where my lower intestines are. It gets better after a bowel movement, but returns shortly after until the entire bathroom session is up, then it gets better. Its worst after I eat.

The rest of the time its seemly random. What I eat and when makes 0 difference, I've tried various diets with no avail. I avoid dairy (lactose intolerant) and stay away from wheat when I can.

#15 slc239

slc239

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 07:33 AM

Hi ChronicTick, 

If you are managing with just osmotic laxatives that's a good sign - means you can still have natural bowel movements without the need for stimulants. The pain sounds horrible though, I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

It could be inflammation which is tricky to deal with, I assume you have already tried the FODMAP diet for it. Could also be caused by the constipation itself if you have a build up or obstruction (seems to be what your doctor was referring to, as stool will leak around an obstruction and appear as diarrhoea). 

If you think you have a build-up of stool in your intestine you could try limiting fibre in your diet (lots of meat/fish/eggs, only white bread/rice/pasta, no beans or nuts) to avoid adding to it, and maybe an over-the-counter stimulant like senna or bisacodyl (don't know what the US names are) every few days to try to shift it. Keep taking the movicol definitely too, adjust your dose as needed if the consistency becomes too hard/too liquid. 

Good luck, I hope it starts to improve.

#16 ChronicTick

ChronicTick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 02:24 AM

Hi, August update here - sorry for lack of response.

Things were going fairly well and I decided to enroll in college - and got in. I am now 4 days from flying out and had a insult this night. Randomly got huge pain and then something I haven't had in AGES, diarrhea. After 30 minutes the pain subsided completely. I did not do my usual of taking a little extra MiraLAX due to have diarrhea. We'll see what happens tomorrow. I did get a spooked about the college trip across the country, however. Living away from home for the first time will be hard, luckily disability services accommodated a private room for me.

I do think I know what happened. I found out the food I had had for dinner was heavily soaked in oil and fat and this is a bad combination for me.

It wasn't as bad as the previous incidents around New Years and last August.

@slc239 - Thanks for your comments. The pain is truly bad, I am not one to scream in pain, ever, but this one really makes me grunt loudly. I often have to blast music in my headphones to distract me enough to deal with it. I also get pretty severe hotflashes.

Anyway, best to all here and thanks for listening.

#17 GJMody

GJMody

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2727 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 12:48 AM

Chronic Tick...How are you feeling? Diarrhea stopped? How is your constipation? What meds are you taking now? Are they working? Keep us posted.

#18 ChronicTick

ChronicTick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 08:06 PM

Back again - again sorry for lack of responses. I guess I try to block out thinking about it when I can and causes me to forget.

I cancelled my trip. No more college for now. Things have stayed deteriorated. 

I still feel constipated daily. In the last 2 days I've had some small bit of almost diarrhea which I'm told can happen when one is very constipated.

The only meds I have is miralax and occaisonally sennakot when things get very bad.

After some talks with my GI, we got referral to Mayo clinic. hoping to get in. I'm so sick and tired of this. Career, social life, and education are all down the drain at the moment.

Thanks all for reading and God Bless.

#19 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10231 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 05:35 AM

so sorry your problems are still so bad.  that's good you got a referral to the mayo clinic.  i hope you get in . if anyone can help you, they can.

good luck. keeping you in my prayers.

#20 ChronicTick

ChronicTick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:49 AM

thank you annie.. much appreciated

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here