Colon Spasms & Gas - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Colon Spasms & Gas

gas spasms frequent bowel movement

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 blu1000

blu1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:28 PM

Advertisement

Hi.  I've unfortunately have dealt with IBS symptoms for many years.  Gas has been the main symptom that has impacted my life.  I seem to get colon spasms that cause gas.  I get a lot of gas before bowel movements, and I also have frequent bowel movements I think because of the spasms.  It's hard to have relationships and keep people near me because of the gas symptoms.  I'm unable to hold the gas in, which makes it embarrassing to be around others.  

I have used things like MyShreddies underwear, which doesn't seem to work that well.  I do use Undertec underwear which seems to work okay.  I notice that if I wear Undertec, it 'calms' my gut- I feel safer and will consequently get less gas.  

I guess I'm wondering about other people's experiences that are similar and what has helped.  Hypnosis, anti-spasmodic medications?  Other meds?  

Thanks. 

#2 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:59 AM

I suffer the same symptoms and unfortunately have never gotten much relief.   I take motofen and lomotil for diarrhea and they help some with the gas.   I still get gas but it doesn't smell as bad for some reason when I take the pills.  I'm going to look into the Undertec underwear. 

#3 blu1000

blu1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:09 PM

Hi Bushja1, Thanks for your reply.  That's interesting about the medication.  Yes, look into Undertec.  I thank God I have those so I feel comfortable enough to go on trips with friends etc.  How long have you dealt with this?  

#4 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:49 PM

I've had the gas problem since I was in my twenties and I'm now 69.  Sucks.   I've had IBS for over 25 years. 

#5 blu1000

blu1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:18 AM

Do you feel like anything significant happened with the onset of it?  I was about 14 when it started.  Many traumatizing things happened during this time and I kind of think this caused the onset of IBS, colon spasms. 

I don't smoke pot much but years ago I remember trying some and I distinctly remember my stomach calming down for a while.  I want to explore this more.

#6 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:10 AM

I don't remember anything happening other than a  bout of depression.   Haven't had that problem since my 20s and my gas problem continues.   I seem to remember pot helping some too.  Trouble is I don't like it. 

#7 blu1000

blu1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:00 PM

I sort of wonder if the problem can be triggered with something like depression or trauma, then it's kind of just sustains regardless of the depression continuing. 

#8 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:01 AM

That's interesting.    I can trace the beginnings of my gas problem to when I suffered with depression.     To this day if I get bored or feel low it seems my gas and IBS in general is worse.  Then of course it's a vicious cycle with putting up with the symptoms pissing me off and making me depressed. 

#9 flankking

flankking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 06:58 AM

Gas and spasms get connected, i am also experiencing it when suffering from depression and also affects my skin like needle piercing.

#10 blu1000

blu1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:49 PM

I have gas/spasm issues all the time now, though I can definitely see where it's worse with difficult emotions like anger and anxiety.  

I've had this issue for over 30 years.  I still remember being 14 and the first time I noticed all of this- spasms and passing multiple gas.  I remember thinking how strange it was-- little did I know this would become a lifelong problem. 

I tried to go to GI doctors over the years but they were pretty useless.  I think they've made more advancements in past few years- like the confusion that happens between the mind and the gut.  This year I'm probably going to try again to see a doctor, therapist specialized in IBS.  I feel like I need hypnosis as well.  

#11 ken

ken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 02:36 PM

Does any one have any advice on a probiotic for IBS? I would prefer to use something natural rather than prescribed medications. I have been using digestive advantage intensive bowel support for about 10 years now but it seems the effectiveness is fading. I have a lot of abdominal pain/discomfort, diarrhea, spams,noises,gas and sensations in my stomach and  really uncomfortable pains and noises that are predominately on my left side. Is anyone familiar with these symptoms and have you had any success on improving on them long term?

#12 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 04:52 PM

I have to same symptoms and have tried everything over a 20 year span with no help.  Sorry.  I know it helps some people get some comfort from hearing about people with the same problems.  Unfortunately I'm not one of them.   I get no comfort from the fact that you and I both suffer the same symptoms.  It makes me feel bad for all of us.   Pisses me off no end.

#13 Yupanda

Yupanda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 05:19 AM

Your post really resonates with me.  I am not sure if it is spams, but I do have a ''nervous'' bowel system. I tend to pass miniscule farts (maybe ingesting extra air ?) when I am nervous during social situations for example. I can't seem to stop it from happening, and I know it is probably because my body is too tense and contracting the wrong muscles. I have been in situations where If I am relaxed, but I feel like I need to pass gass I can stop it, so it's not like I cant -.- 

I used to never felt burdened by the bloatiness I had sometimes. Especially, looking back, I had a few times where I was constipated/bloated, but at that moment it didn't bother me if it happened. I never thought twice about my pooping habits, so carefree. I farted whoops, but I didn't think about it the next day. 

Nowadays, I am so anxious, at work I am stressed, and I can't deal with embarrassment as much anymore as I used too. And it is the accumulation of 'embarassing' social events that caused me to be even more anxious and exacerbating the symptoms.

I used be so much more in tune with my body, and actually I just went to the toilet whenever I had the urge, once a day, perfect. I also always thought farting meant that I needed to pass stool and still do actually, but at a certain point I was passing gass (probably because of nervousness) so much, I couldn't really use that as a guideline anymore. At a certain point, I was so fixated on my pooping habits. I tried to force myself to pass stool, for example before I went to work, or before a meeting, so it would eliminate the risk of passing gas (not really). I forced it, and now I messed up my body's signaling, I have incomplete evacuations nowadays. my colons rhythm is totally messed up and I seem to depend on gastrocolic reflex a lot nowadays. 

I tried the whole FODMAP diet thing, not much difference, I do avoid lactose nowadays. For me symptoms, arise 6/8 hours after eating, because that's the time food requires to reach the large intestine where the fermentation takes place, and thus gas-formation. I try to take that into account when I plan to meet people in the evening. What also helped with me is eating more slowly and chewing throughly. Nowadays, we just eat in front of the TV and don't really eat mindfully. So, I try to focus on that part.

I also tried hypnosis, for some people it works, because it can be stress-relieving, and helps with anxiousness. It didn't help me that much though. I do like to listen to the sessions when I have trouble sleeping, so in that sense it works. I think overall hypnosis and meditation will help with nervousness. You should try it out!  

And back to the passing gas while you almost need to pass tool thing. I have this too, and it is normal i believe, but it happens more when you are constipated!  

For me, because of my messed up bowel rhythm, I have incomplete evacuations. I go in the mornings, and feel fine all day, suddenly in the evening I seem to pass gas a lot. It always the question: did I eat something during lunch/dinner which cause it or is it because I still have stool to pass? really frustrating. Especially when you have social thing in the evening.

For example, after I eat dinner, ( gastrocolic reflex/ lots of gass) I suddenly have to pass another bowel... and this is always type 1-2, while in the mornings it is more type 4-5. 

I am trying to figure out how to have complete bowel movements in one go, so i can avoid the constipated evening poops.. I am not sure how to solve it yet. 

And with the corona lock down, there is actually less stress. I feel more in tune with my body but I still have symptoms, but I try to listen to my body more, and maybe I will get my normal bowel movements back. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gas, spasms, frequent bowel movement

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here