Can IBS be caused be caused by stress/ptsd and not linked to food? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Can IBS be caused be caused by stress/ptsd and not linked to food?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tommyt7

tommyt7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:40 AM

Advertisement

I have had symptoms of ibs for around a year and a half now, I have tried cutting different things out of my diet and have no luck at all. my diet hadn't changed when it started also. I rarely get constipated, it is more just going to the toilet a lot, and a lot of the time that isn't solid.

I've been drs and had blood tests etc ct scan and they found nothing so indicted it is ibs.

Around the time it started something traumatic happened and I am wondering if this could be causing it and it could have no link to food whatssoever?

#2 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 09:43 AM

Yes. There is a strong link between the brain and the gut. Anxiety can definitely be one of the contributing factors to symptoms of IBS.

• nefertara likes this

#3 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 11:02 AM

Diet has almost no effect on my IBS.   I'm sure mine is stress related .   

#4 Bobby99

Bobby99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:26 PM

Diet? Unless you have celiac, or an allergy, I don’t think changes in diet do a damned thing to IBS. I can eat ANYTHING or NOTHING! It’s all bad. I tested myself for celiac. I ate a whole pizza and washed it down with a 40oz. Nothing different. If I had celiac, that would have killed me. The doctors later confirmed that with their own test. Sure, I get the same normal reaction for beans , burritos, spicy food. Eat whatever makes you feel good. Pay no attention to people with their dietary concerns or recommendations. They don’t know poo! You’ll know better.

#5 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:08 PM

Diet? Unless you have celiac, or an allergy, I don’t think changes in diet do a damned thing to IBS. I can eat ANYTHING or NOTHING! It’s all bad. I tested myself for celiac. I ate a whole pizza and washed it down with a 40oz. Nothing different. If I had celiac, that would have killed me. The doctors later confirmed that with their own test. Sure, I get the same normal reaction for beans , burritos, spicy food. Eat whatever makes you feel good. Pay no attention to people with their dietary concerns or recommendations. They don’t know poo! You’ll know better.

I agree.  I've tried every kind of diet for IBS and none did anything.   I stay away from greasy foods as much as possible.  I don't know if it's different for IBS-C but if I'm going to get diarrhea it doesn't matter if I don't eat at all...it still comes. 

#6 tommyt7

tommyt7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 02:15 AM

Thought I'd give an update here; since the lockdown started I've been able to test removing different foods from diet easily as I'm preparing all food at home. I've seen a little improvement in not going to the toilet as much, and when I do it is more solid. However there are still days when I'm having to take loperamide in the morning.

The only thing I could be quite confident in saying is that avoiding caffeine and alcohol helps (for me). I hadn't ate dairy for quite a while before lockdown started and i've introduced dairy back into my diet and its no worse than before. I'm currently trying 0 gluten so I will see how that goes, however that would be the most annoying food product to try and avoid.

I'd had an appointment scheduled with a dietician at the local hopsital for the end of March which got cancelled but the dietician phoned me the other day and we spoke for a while. She seemed to think in my case it was more stress than food related.

#7 nefertara

nefertara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 04 May 2020 - 11:00 AM

I studied somatic psychology, I have IBS-A. I feel like nothing I do will help it. When I restrict to bland foods, it almost got worse, because I was stressing out so much about making sure I had the right foods, and meal prep and all that. It got so bad that I ended up getting a colonoscopy and endoscopy because I was in so much pain... I was also going through a terribly stressful time in my life. But IBS i believe is cyclical, stress creates it, it's there, it causes stress, then that added stress makes it worse.... So the less you stress the better it is...

the only thing that makes me happy is jersey white sweet potatoes... IDK why, but every time I eat them, it feels like it coats my inner intestines all the way through....

#8 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2113 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 02:13 PM

Mine isn't, but IBS can definitely be caused by stress.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here