Why have I experienced no change - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Why have I experienced no change

constipation colon

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sarp123

sarp123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:06 AM

Advertisement

Hello

I have had chronic constipation for over 10 years since I was a teenager. At times this has been so bad that I haven't gone for a month. However in recent years I've had a daily bowel movement but my stools are always very hard and incomplete. In the last couple of week I have been drinking a lot of water daily, my daily allowance of fibre and the symprove probiotic but nothing has changed. 

I was wondering whether anyone had any thoughts on why there had been no change? Could this be from my colon expanding from the damage in the past?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts!

#2 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2120 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:08 AM

Hi sarp123 -

Incomplete evacuation goes hand-in-hand with chronic constipation. I have it every day.

I can't answer why there has been no change in your BM's, but do you take any supplements to help you go at all? If not, you ought to try something.

Read this whenever you have the time (click on below link to view):

http://www.ibsgroup....tion-aka-ibs-c/

Good luck & keep us posted!

• annie7 and sarp123 like this

#3 sarp123

sarp123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:24 AM

Thanks Flossy! That is very useful. The only supplements I've tried is Symprove (2 weeks in no change yet), peppermint (didn't help) and aloe vera juice (no change). 

• flossy likes this

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9510 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:40 AM

yes, Flossy's right.  you really should take something to help you go.  like he said, a lot of people have had good luck with Dr Schultz Intestinal formula #1.

there are also a number of  effective constipation medications available.  ask your doctor for a script so you give them a try.  i know linzess (constella) and prucalopride (resolor) are available in the uk;  there may be others--ask your doc.  here in the usa we have linzess, prucalopride, amitiza, zelnorm, trulance and ibsrela.

if your stools are hard and dry, you might want to try taking miralax (movicol) to help soften your stools.

and yes, like Flossy mentioned, fiber can be helpful but only if your constipation is caused by a lack of fiber to begin with.  for those of us whose colons move very slowly, dumping more fiber in there just backs everything up all the more.   i found that i did best on a diet low in fiber.

good luck.  hope you can find some relief.  take care.

• flossy and sarp123 like this

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: constipation, colon

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here