Help extreme bloat and distension cycles - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Help extreme bloat and distension cycles

Bloating distension

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Neonlambo

Neonlambo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 10:18 AM

Advertisement
Any insight appreciated:

I am a bodybuilder who has dealt with extreme distension and bloating for over 20 years. I have been tested for SIBO, chrons, candida and all food intolerance. I don't seem to have any bowel issues with my bloating. Normal Bowel movements usually every morning I have done FODMAP and all the paleo and keto style diets. Low carb does help but then I've also had high carb work as well. I will go months without an issue and be lean. Then I will get extreme distension and pain that will last weeks sometimes a month. It can happen without food in the morning or with food later. Sometimes it can be started with over consumption of pre workout or diet soda and alcohol. Then other times I can eat those things just fine. In a matter of minutes my stomach blows up 10 times the size with rapid shortness of breath. The issue is when it starts it takes weeks to go away no matter what I do. I didn't have it for months and then got bronchitis and it came back again. Stress sometimes brings it on and sometimes it doesn't. Nothing seems to be constant in every situation. My GI doc thinks it's food related. It seems as if nothing is full proof all the time. If it flares up for weeks and goes away is this a bacteria issue or dysbiosis that then takes time to correct itself? Maybe the sugar alcohols build up and cause the issue? I am a fairly anxious person and do overdo sugar alcohols at times.I am sick of looking 9 months pregnant when I diet daily and work out 2 hrs a day. Why does this go away and come back so extreme? Please help. Thanks

#2 blowfish

blowfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 27 April 2020 - 06:33 PM

Any FODMAPs I consume gives me gas approximately 2-60 hours after eating. I believe I don't have the right bacteria in my colon to correctly break down the FODMAP. This has been the main issue for me for at least 20 years.

The only exception to the rule above is coffee. When I drink black coffee, my stomach would start swelling 15 minutes after consumption, and the bloating doesn't go away for 15 hours. This type of bloating feels different than the bloat caused by FODMAPs. This feels like an allergic reaction.

#3 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2113 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:07 PM

Any insight appreciated:

I am a bodybuilder who has dealt with extreme distension and bloating for over 20 years. I have been tested for SIBO, chrons, candida and all food intolerance. I don't seem to have any bowel issues with my bloating. Normal Bowel movements usually every morning I have done FODMAP and all the paleo and keto style diets. Low carb does help but then I've also had high carb work as well. I will go months without an issue and be lean. Then I will get extreme distension and pain that will last weeks sometimes a month. It can happen without food in the morning or with food later. Sometimes it can be started with over consumption of pre workout or diet soda and alcohol. Then other times I can eat those things just fine. In a matter of minutes my stomach blows up 10 times the size with rapid shortness of breath. The issue is when it starts it takes weeks to go away no matter what I do. I didn't have it for months and then got bronchitis and it came back again. Stress sometimes brings it on and sometimes it doesn't. Nothing seems to be constant in every situation. My GI doc thinks it's food related. It seems as if nothing is full proof all the time. If it flares up for weeks and goes away is this a bacteria issue or dysbiosis that then takes time to correct itself? Maybe the sugar alcohols build up and cause the issue? I am a fairly anxious person and do overdo sugar alcohols at times.I am sick of looking 9 months pregnant when I diet daily and work out 2 hrs a day. Why does this go away and come back so extreme? Please help. Thanks

Hello Neonlambo -

I would keep a food (& drink!) diary if I were you and try different foods to see exactly what ones affect you badly and whenever something does, quit eating it. I'm thinking that's your best bet?

Good luck & keep us posted!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here