Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

IBS D as a wedding guest

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Kelly167 
#1 ·
I have severe IBS D and anxiety and was wondering how any of you cope during wedding guest season, for the past few years I have declined and made excuses for lots of the wedding ceremonies I have been invited too luckily I have been a. Plus one and not know the bride or groom well personally. But I have close family weddings and maybe a christening coming up and I have constant fear of needing the toilet urgently during the ceremony and having to get up and go out, thats if the church even has a toilet, and everyone seeing and wondering what Im doing and considering it rude. I know to take Imodium and also eat light, but this is not enough sometimes, I guess I am wondering is it acceptable to have to leave a ceremony to use the toilet? I know it seems silly to worry about it but I think about it a lot ahh! Thankyou in advance

#2 ·
I know what you are talking about. I was afraid I might have a problem at my father's funeral. I took an extra Lomotil and I was fine. The anxiety is still there of course. If you have to go I don't think anyone would think much about it really. Our fear is kind of irrational sometimes.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes I agree, i can know it is irrational but at the same time it feels such a real fear! I recently went to both of my grandads funerals and a couple of years ago my uncle and each time was terrified that I would have a problem, I was anxious but of course didnt end up needing to leave or anything! I think I get more worried about weddings as its someones big day and I dont want to seem rude or like causing a bother, and the fear of there not being toilets at a church! I have been to a wedding where once someone had to go the toilet and no one even cared but I guess when its ourselves and the fear of being judged it can be quite overwhelming, thankyou for your reply! Glad to know Im not the only one😊

#4 ·
I know what you mean. I have missed friends weddings and such because of this. Its hard for others to understand either. You might try taking a bunch of imodium the day before and the day during. My problem is even if I take some of the anti-diarrheals I still have urgency the entire time which is almost worse.

#5 ·
Yes the urgency is one of my most hated symptoms, it feels so horrible to not be able to hold for long, so embarrassing! Imodium does help a bit but I can still feel like I need to go, I think I might just try to get over it and if I have to get up out the ceremony then I have to and if people judge then its their problem but easier said than done haha its someones big day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.