Help! I'm all blocked up and previous remedies are not working - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Help! I'm all blocked up and previous remedies are not working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 siiva108

siiva108

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 10:24 AM

Advertisement

Good day,

After 6 months of minimal digestion problems thanks to the pancrelipase medication (I have pancreas insufficiency), I started getting the serious side effects from the meds, so I stopped taking them. Miraculously right after I stopped the meds I had a week of normal bowel movements. Then I ate some pea shoots with my eggs and things went downhill quickly (more on the shoots later). The next day the food passed through mostly undigested. And from that point forward I haven't had any significant bowel movement. This was two weeks ago.

The first small poo I had, I noticed the stool was shaped like a tiny snake (size of your pinky finger). I started to think there might be a blockage forming. From there I went from water fasting to raw food to water fasting again. I was trying to eat as little as possible to give this time to work itself out, but it never did.

I've tried Castor Oil cleanse, multiple enemas (only the water comes back out). Currently I'm only drinking the juice from fruit, because I can't continue water fasting as I get really nauseated.

The pea shoots that I received happened to be grown in a house where there was a mouse infestation. Is it possible I contracted something as a result of mouse contamination? I checked all related mice->human diseases and their symptoms but I have none. I suspect other people eating these would have gotten sick too but they haven't (it's a small community).

Alternatively, is it possible that some of those shoots from the meal that I ate (which didn't get digested) are still hanging around in my intestines and causing the blockage?

What can I do? Keep trying the enemas?

Because of Covid I'm stuck in a country where my medical coverage is not certain. So a trip to the hospital is not possible.

I have no severe pain, or sore spots in my stomach but when I move my guts around I can hear a lot of liquid sloshing around (perhaps some water from a previous enema).

I was considering take a salt flush because that worked wonders before, but I'm worried with this blockage that it won't go anywhere and I'll just end up in a worse position.

Any suggestions are welcome.

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9227 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 10:53 AM

can you call your gastro doc's (or regular doc's) office and ask them what to do? their advice is best.

you do need to get things moving so you don't develop an impaction or an obstruction.  two weeks is too long not to go. 

have you tried taking a stimulant laxative?  and maybe also take an osmotic laxative as well, like miralax or milk of magnesia.

if you can't get things moving, you really should go to the ER.  or maybe a walk in clinic or urgent care. 

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 siiva108

siiva108

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 11:10 AM

He prescribed me Transilane, a Psyllium based laxative, along with meteoxane to reduce bloating. I have my doubts, since laxatives never really worked well for me before, but I will try it right away.

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9227 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 11:17 AM

yeah i have my doubts about  Transilane, too, since it's fiber based.  fiber might just back you up all the more. but i guess you should try it, since he prescribed it.  if it doesn't work, call him back right away,

i was thinking more along the lines of trying a stimulant like senna or bisacodyl....

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9227 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:05 AM

have you been able to go yet??  i sure hope so.

#6 siiva108

siiva108

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:13 AM

No :(

I tried an enema yesterday but just the water comes back out. The local pharmacist recommended PINAVERIUM BROMIDE but that hasn't had any affect. I took 4 tablespoons of Castor oil this morning but that only resulted in a bit of liquid coming out.

I'm going to try one more enema today and if nothing happens I'm going to take a flight back to France on Wednesday (where I'll be able to quickly get a colonoscopy). I just hope I can last a few more days. So far no pain, just discomfort and weird sensations in my small intestine (I think).

Is it possible for the small intestine to be "crimped" ? Ok I just googled it. I don't want to consider that as a possibility.

#7 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9227 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:30 AM

oh no!  so very sorry to hear this.

i wonder why the pharamcist recommended  PINAVERIUM BROMIDE.  it's an antispasmodic.  are you having painful cramping?  an anitspasmodic relaxes the muscles of the gut and can alleviate painful colon spams but it also can have a side effect of constipation because it relaxes the gut, so you don't get a lot of contractions to move stool through.

maybe go back to him and tell him that the med didn't work and could he suggest something else.

to me, it's kind of alarming that enemas aren't helping.  are you using the large volume enemas (the big red bag ones, which hold about a quart of water) or the smaller fleet enemas.  the smaller fleet enemas are not effective for a backup this large. 

have you tried a stimulant laxative like senna or bisacodyl?  that and some miralax (movicol) should help.

i do hope you haven't developed an impaction or even worse yet, an obstruction.

symptoms of an impaction include abdominal cramping and bloating, leakage of liquid or sudden episodes of watery D, small, semi formed stools, rectal bleeding, low back pain...

if you totally stop passing any kind of stool at all and stop passing gas, then you may have develop an obstruction. symptoms of obstruction also can include nausea and vomiting and fever. this is an ER situation

an obstruction means the stool cannot move, has completely filled that part of the colon, nothing can get by, not even gas and eventually you will begin to vomit up stool when it needs to get out but it can't due to  the obstruction.  i've had one, so believe me , i know.  not fun.

good luck. i really hope you can get things moving soon.

• flossy likes this

#8 siiva108

siiva108

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for the reply. Good point about the PINAVERIUM. No I'm not getting any serious pain. There is a lot of movement in the small intestines but no pain. I think the problem is the *lack* of spasms or whatever is needed to move things through. I will talk to the pharmacist again today.

I am using the big red enema bag. How far up in the small intestines do those go? I'm going to try a laxative today, but since my colon is empty, I'm not sure what it will do. Should I take an oral one instead? I'll ask the pharmacist.

I do have the watery D, but only in small amounts. I'm only juicing fruits/veg right now, so I would expect something watery anyway. I noticed some of the orange juice made it through, but should it really be still orange?

My flight to France is in two days, if nothing changes, I'm getting on that and then going straight to the hospital.

#9 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9227 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 07:35 AM

enemas only clean the colon.  they don't go up into the small intestine.

if your colon is empty, i don't know if a laxative will help or not. 

yes, do go to the hospital.  they can do an xray to see what's going on in there.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here