How to break the diarrhea/constipation cycle? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

How to break the diarrhea/constipation cycle?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wetherell

wetherell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:08 AM

Advertisement

Hi Everyone,

I've had IBS since age 11 (now age 30). It began as IBS-D but switched to IBS-A in college. Over the past few months I've had periods of increasingly bad constipation followed by equally bad diarrhea. Right now I can't remember the last time I had a normal BM.

When I'm constipated, I will "go" multiple times a day, but only pass small amounts of stool, with difficulty. 

When I have diarrhea, it's very urgent, watery, and sometimes has small hard pieces in it. I suspect that it may not be diarrhea at all but "overflow." 

I already do most of what is suggested for IBS-A: exercise, healthy diet, lots of fiber, water, avoid stress, etc. I tried eating prunes - up to 10 a day - without effect. I'm now trying Miralax.

Does anyone have tips for how to break the diarrhea/constipation cycle? 

Thanks.

#2 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:45 AM

Wish I did because I have many of the same symptoms.    When I don't have real diarrhea I have maybe 10 small BMs and never feel finished.   My doctor told me to try glycerin suppositories to help with incomplete evacuation.   They seem to work but I don't think you are supposed to use them as often as I need them.   I'll have to ask him. 

• GJMody likes this

#3 wetherell

wetherell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:55 AM

Thank you. And yes, 10x without feeling finished sounds very familiar to me! I will look into the glycerin suppositories.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here