Alternatives to Mag Citrate - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Alternatives to Mag Citrate

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IBSsucks2

IBSsucks2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 04:46 PM

Advertisement

First, some background. I have been taking magnesium citrate for years (well over 10 years). I have pelvic floor dysfunction, rectal hyposensitivity, visceral hypersensitivity, and IBS-c with what I would call alternating peristalsis. I have also been taking diazepam suppositories at the direction of a physician. Went to physical therapy for the PFD but they never did biofeedback, which is what I really wanted so it wasn't achieving any successful results. The symptom that irritates me the most is the PFD, which is why I take the mag citrate with LOTS of water and a diet that consists primarily of insoluble fiber (I want to liquify my stools to pass through my very tight puborectalis, as well as pass gas.) 

My system was "working," meaning that I could at least some relief but, as you can imagine with the amount of water and limitations on my diet, I have no life. Also, I recently developed edema in both legs, primarily the left one, and had to go to the doctor. He is running a battery of tests but also said I have anemia. As a result, I am looking for recommendations for alternatives to magnesium because I think it is interfering with iron absorption, resulting in the anemia. Does anyone have any recommendations? I primarily want to liquify my stools and pass gas. I was thinking of an osmotic laxative (since it will be taken long term) but I am open to suggestions. I am also lactose intolerant so I don't think that lactulose would work. I have heard of Miralax. Is that a good alternative and, if so, in order to accomplish my goals mentioned above, how much should I take and what would be the best time to take it? (Although this isn't a laxative, is Linzess a good option?)

My situation is so bad, I have also contemplated just getting a colostomy or ileostomy.

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2113 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 05:43 PM

Hi IBSsucks2 -

I've been taking Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula # 1 daily for over 5 years now with good results (no constipation). I still have daily incomplete evacuation, but for a lot of us? That's part of IBS-C. (Just for the record, I.F. # 1 is an all herbal natural supplement.) If I were you? I would also try no extra fiber at all. Extra fiber, both soluble and insoluble, always gave me more constipation. About 85% of us feel this way here on this board. Try eating way more meat (good for iron) and less fruits and vegetables. Also, you could try iron pills for your anemia, but you know what one of the possible side effects can be? Constipation. 

Miramax is okay, I've used it before for several months. I'd rate it about a 'C' as far as helpfulness.

I've never tried Linzess but we have had good to mixed results on this board. 

Read these whenever you have the time (click on below link to view):

Good luck & keep us posted!

• annie7 likes this

#3 IBSsucks2

IBSsucks2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 04:04 PM

thanks, Flossy! totally agree on the soluble fiber but I have found that insoluble seems to liquify the stool, which helps because my puborectalis muscle, as well as my pelvic floor, is so tight. trying to pass a bowling ball through a pinhole...well, the results are predictable.

does the I.F. result in liquified stools that also pass gas?

• flossy likes this

#4 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2113 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:05 PM

You're welcome!

Stick with insoluble fiber then, since it's working for you. 

I don't get liquified stools unless I eat a lot of meat. So no, usually not. I don't want diarrhea, I just want soft BM's. And yes, I can pass gas with I.F. # 1. 

Have you tried a Squatty Potty or anything similar to help you go? It's supposed to help line up your puborectalis muscle. See diagram below:

https://im.indiatime..._1457687506.jpg

#5 IBSsucks2

IBSsucks2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 05:56 PM

Yes, squatty helps. worked on technique with PT but, overall, PT not much success. the most helpful thing I have found so far is the diazepam suppositories...relaxes the pelvic floor.

thanks again for your feedback!

• flossy likes this

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here