Colonoscopy prep not completely successful? - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Colonoscopy prep not completely successful?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Displaced

Displaced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:20 PM

Advertisement

A couple of days I resorted to the "nuclear option" for being really backed up, recommended by my GI doctor, which was to take the colonoscopy prep solution. I didn't have to go through the dietary modification, just drink the solution. I drank about 2/3 of it before the bowel activity began, and it seemed like everything went as expected. I've had colonoscopies several times, so I know the drill. Anyway, after a few minor outbursts the following morning, I assumed I was all clear but within a few hours started feeling cramps and pain which would seem to indicate I wasn't. Maybe it was just gas, who knows. I emailed my doctor last night, assuming that he or a nurse would read the message in the morning and get back to me, but so far no response. I still feel occasional pain in the lower left abdominal area and wish I had some idea what's going on. It happens to be Friday, and although I could go to urgent care or the ER over the weekend, I'd like to avoid that by starting with advice from my doctor about whether there's anything to worry about. Is it possible that the colonoscopy prep solution, despite triggering several hours of explosive diarrhea, can't actually get everything out, even though the activity eventually tapers off? Could I have been so impacted that I need more intervention?

The doctor advised me to take at least two doses of Miralax every day, and I took my first dose this morning. It's way too soon to expect any results. Following his advice is all I think I can do until I get some answers. Anyone else every have a potential limited result with colonoscopy prep?

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8815 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 02:47 PM

so sorry for your problems. 

that's a shame that your doctor's office didn't call you back.  are they closed today?  did you try calling them?  it would be nice to get their advice. 

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here