glycerol suppositories and mucus - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

glycerol suppositories and mucus

mucus lactulose

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alicee88

alicee88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:19 AM

Advertisement

I've been dependent on glycerol suppositories for 2 years and although it's not an ideal situation it doesn't bother me because I feel so in control and better than I had done in years. I can even administer the thing while standing up in a public lavatory, and it only takes a couple of minutes to kick in, although I have to repeat that a number of times to have a CBM. I realise that I'm not actually constipated most of the time, but I have destroyed my body's ability to do a BM on its own by taking matters into my own hands to combat a sluggish digestive system not helped by erratic eating patterns and drinking too much.

Anyway, the 'real' problem is that from time to time the suppositories don't work due to being expelled by excess mucus or sometimes just melting into the mucus and not stimulating my digestive tract. This is frustrating and obviously leaves me constipated.

I assume the mucus is triggered by something I've eaten, although I generally don't experience certain foods as triggers for anything. Does anyone have a similar problem with excess mucus? And any treatment for it OR long-term alternative to suppositories? I did use lactulose successfully for a short while but it can be tricky to get the dose and time of administration correct as I always drink alcohol before bed unsure.png

#2 TMM388

TMM388

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 04:07 PM

I use the suppositories too, they are a great help, I can do them at work and they just take a few minutes.  I believe mucous is from inflammation. It might be irritated colon or something you're eating.

#3 Nick8

Nick8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:28 AM

I just started using the suppositories and have done so for 4 days and it makes me feel so good to know im going to be able to move the bowels 

I wanted to ask why on the jar i have says you can only take for 7 days.   Why is that it just seems harmless and it works better than anything and i have tried everything and i just have a real slow motility...

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13064 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:25 AM

I wanted to ask why on the jar i have says you can only take for 7 days.   

that's great that the suppositories are working for you!

i took glycerin suppositories almost every day for years.  i think that the reason that it says that on the jar is for legal reasons--to protect the manufacturer-- because they want you to check with a doctor first.  a lot of otc meds say that on the bottle. my docs all said that they are very safe to take and they are not addictive or harmful or anything like that. and after all, like someone here once said,  they come in big tubs of 100 (that's what i used to buy) so they must be safe lol......

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 aries_wmn

aries_wmn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:12 PM

I've used these a lot, and sometimes they work, and sometimes they just don't. I think it depends on the location of the stool in your colon. If it hasn't made it to a certain point, they can't work. This is just my best guess, anyways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mucus, lactulose

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here