What's the difference between Trulance and Motegrity? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

What's the difference between Trulance and Motegrity?

Trulance Motegrity difference IBS-C

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tdhcsc

tdhcsc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:29 PM

Advertisement

I was prescribed both by my gastrointerologist for my IBS-C.  She said I could take both if one doesn't help but try the Trulance first.  I looked around on the net and can't find anything about the difference.  They both do the same thing but last night I tried Motegrity and had relief in about 3 hours.  I woke up with a headache but it worked whereas the Trulance did nothing for the week I took it alone.

Trulance is called 'plecanatide' and is a 3mg tab while Motegrity is called 'prucalopride' and is 2mg.   At first I thought they might be the same with a name change but I guess that's not what happened and they are different medications.

Anyone know the difference?  I can't find anything on the net.

Dan

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9546 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:04 PM

prucalopride (motegrity) is a prokinetic. it increases peristalsis. whereas trulance is not.  trulance works by adding fluid to the colon.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 tdhcsc

tdhcsc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:31 PM

So Trulance is much like Miralax?  I've been taking Miralax for a couple of years and recently had to start taking it twice a day which forced me to wear Depends.  Even at Miralax twice a day I had no joy of a BM at all, just brown water that I couldn't control. 

Hopefully the Motegrity will work for a while like it did last night.

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9546 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:37 PM

yes, i hope motegrity keeps working for you, too.  

unfortunately headaches can be a side effect of motegrity but i've read that sometimes the headaches go away once your body becomes used to the drug.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Trulance, Motegrity, difference, IBS-C

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here