1 reply to this topic

#1 kelseydiane31

kelseydiane31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 04:51 PM

Advertisement

I was wondering if anyone tried a low-fat diet for their IBS-D symptoms? Would it work?

#2 Ilyria

Ilyria

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 07 July 2020 - 01:38 AM

Hello kelseydiane31
I don't know if it would work, I guess it all depends on your lifestyle and body type and most of all your triggers. What do you mean by low-fat? Is it excluding fat or just eating things that have "low-fat" sign on them?
I am on a low fat diet but not by choice and it is not fun. I'm unable to digest fat (among other things) and I take digestive enzymes that contain lipase with my main meals-without them I literaly cannot eat anything. Fat makes my symptoms flare up in a painful way but that does not mean they go away if I avoid it. My diet is extremely restricted in variety and size and as a result I am underweight. At the moment I have 54,7 kg(120,6 lbs) and I'm 176cm ( 5,77 ft)..I have only 9,8 grams of body fat and I'm still loosing weight. We are not meant to live only on protein and we need fat so that our bodies can function. There are vitamins that can only be stored in fat so thread carefuly if you decide to try this diet and make sure it is not for long periods ot time.
Let us know how it goes!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here