Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Issues - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Issues

Chronic Constipation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RedStarLight

RedStarLight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:38 PM

Advertisement

Hello,

I am dealing with Chronic Idiopathic Constipation. I've this issue for years.  I live with an eating disorder and other psych issues such as bipolar disorder.  I believe that having an eating disorder that swung between starvation/restriction and laxative use, on top of psych meds has messed up my digestive system.  I also have gained weight on psych meds.  2 capfuls or Miralax or more is how I manage to have a bowel movement, and not complete ones, and more on the diarrhea side.

I was prescribed Linzess at 145mcg, which worked on the first day, then wore off. The higher dose didn't do much better. Small, incomplete bowel movements  I was told it would work pretty much instantaneously, which it did on the day. On the higher dose it wasn't until two days before my colonoscopy that I felt the pressure in the abdominal and maybe a hint that it might start working.  No complete BM though.

Colonoscopy revealed a small polyp that the doctor removed and hemorrhoids, not everything mainly fine. 

Doctor said using the Miralax isn't a bad thing, but I went to the gastrointestinal doctor because I was tired of Miralax. Even more irritated with trying to find foods that do the trick.

I'm irritated and angry - I wanted an answer.  I'm right back where I started.

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11143 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:25 AM

so sorry for all your problems.  living with chronic constipation is miserable.

there are several  other constipation meds available besides linzess.  have you tried them?  ask your doc.  you especially might want to give motegrity (prucalopride) a try. unlike the other meds, including linzess, motegrity is a prokinetic and might work better for you. 

also, you might want to take a look at this thread:

https://www.ibsgroup...st-of-remedies/

good luck.  hope you can find some relief.  

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 GJMody

GJMody

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3692 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:50 PM

Chronic idiopathic constipation is awful. My doc prescribed me Motegrity aka prucalopride last October. It worked till Feb. this year. Then it stopped working. I asked this to my doc. He just told sometimes it happens. Not convincing answer at all. Then he put me on amitizia which gave me small BM and severe pain so I stopped. I am now taking dulcolax laxative every three days. And taking Miralax 25ml twice daily. These are helping me.

#4 GJMody

GJMody

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3692 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 01:08 AM

I also have Bipolar Disorder for which I am taking meds. I believe these meds also contribute to bowel probs. Which meds are u taking?

#5 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11143 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:41 AM

i still think that motegrity (prucalopride) is definitely worth a try.  motegrity (prucalopride) is a relatively new drug in the usa but it's been available in other coiuntries for years.  i know people who have been taking it for years and absoilutely love it because  it works so well for them.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#6 GJMody

GJMody

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3692 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:55 AM

RedStarLight how are you? Feeling better? How is the constipation?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chronic Constipation

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here