Why some dairy and not others? - Diet - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Why some dairy and not others?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 IBMJunkman

IBMJunkman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 01:59 PM

Advertisement

New to the FODMAP world. I have been using this site as a food guideline.
https://www.ibsdiets...dmap-food-list/

Why can I have butter, some cheeses and some milk but not cow milk or cream?  Are not cheese and butter made from cow milk/cream?

What about A2 milk?

And a side question. What about bacon? smile.png Not listed on the site.

#2 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 05:46 PM

New to the FODMAP world. I have been using this site as a food guideline.
https://www.ibsdiets...dmap-food-list/

Why can I have butter, some cheeses and some milk but not cow milk or cream?  Are not cheese and butter made from cow milk/cream?

What about A2 milk?

And a side question. What about bacon? smile.png Not listed on the site.

I believe it has to do with lactose levels. In terms of cheese, hard cheeses are usually okay in small amounts (due to much lower levels of lactose).. while soft cheeses are not. Butter is very low in lactose as well.

All meats are low FODMAP by themselves.. processed or prepared meats can be high FODMAP due to added high FODMAP ingredients. So bacon is generally okay, but if it's seasoned with high FODMAP spices, it may not be okay.

• Ilyria likes this

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here