What's your Imodium/Loperamide advice? - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

What's your Imodium/Loperamide advice?

imodium loperamide ibs-d

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vanzant

vanzant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:32 AM

Advertisement

I have taken Imodium/Loperamide fairly successfully for many years. I have to take it daily, 2 tablets in the morning and 2 at night, at the regular dosage of 2 mg a tablet. I simply would not be able to function without it. In a way it is a life saver for me.  

I find I still have terrifying moments of having to run to the bathroom while I'm out and about. I often wonder if I should take 2 extra tablets when I know I'll be out and not necessarily close to a bathroom? How do you guys use Imodium successfully in these situations? 

#2 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:22 AM

I use Motofen or Lomotil and with those they only seem effective for about 4 hours.   I usually take one extra when they seem to wane. I'm not sure how many Imodium you can take every 24 hrs but with Lomotil I can take up to 6 every 24hrs. 

#3 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 September 2020 - 02:23 PM

I'm the same. I take Lomotil these days. Imodium has lost its effectiveness or reliability for me.

#4 vanzant

vanzant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 04:08 PM

I'm the same. I take Lomotil these days. Imodium has lost its effectiveness or reliability for me.

Thank you for the reply. What dosage do you take and do you take it daily? 

#5 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 September 2020 - 06:35 PM

Thank you for the reply. What dosage do you take and do you take it daily? 

It really depends on how I feel my body is reacting. I usually start off with two small pills in the morning hours. I see how that holds. If I still feel insecure I will take another one in the mid afternoon. Then I usually wait to see how I am the next day. It can sort of constipate me sometimes if I took too many the prior day. So its really just an adjustment for me. But I find Lomotil doesn't give me cramps as bad as imodium. And not only does imodium not seem to really work on me anymore...the next day can be worse bowel wise. Like explosive bowel movments. I dont get that at all with Lomotil or Motofen. Motofen is supposed to be the best one out there but honestly I dont feel as safe with that one. Lomotil works for right now. I will say none of these drugs helps with that feel of urgency. And i will often still go frequently throughout the day. However with Lomotil or Motofen at least the stools are firm which makes all the difference.

#6 vanzant

vanzant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 06:40 PM

It really depends on how I feel my body is reacting. I usually start off with two small pills in the morning hours. I see how that holds. If I still feel insecure I will take another one in the mid afternoon. Then I usually wait to see how I am the next day. It can sort of constipate me sometimes if I took too many the prior day. So its really just an adjustment for me. But I find Lomotil doesn't give me cramps as bad as imodium. And not only does imodium not seem to really work on me anymore...the next day can be worse bowel wise. Like explosive bowel movments. I dont get that at all with Lomotil or Motofen. Motofen is supposed to be the best one out there but honestly I dont feel as safe with that one. Lomotil works for right now. I will say none of these drugs helps with that feel of urgency. And i will often still go frequently throughout the day. However with Lomotil or Motofen at least the stools are firm which makes all the difference.

Thank you. That's good info. I remember taking Lomotil years ago and it not really working but it may have been a dosage issue for me. And I agree that Imodium can give bad cramps, especially if not taken with a ton of water. And water is a catch-22 of course, because it can speed up and worsen IBS-D. 

#7 Positiveside

Positiveside

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:17 AM

so Lomotil is an alternative to Imodium, didn't know this. thanks for the info

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: imodium, loperamide, ibs-d

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here