how often do you avoid drinking water? - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

how often do you avoid drinking water?

water drinking water

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vanzant

vanzant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:43 PM

Advertisement

When I need to travel or be away from a bathroom I find myself not drinking water at all, like not even a little in the morning because it is too risky -- despite taking 2 Imodium in the morning. Does anyone else do that? If so, how many days in a row will you go with taking Imodium and drinking barely any (or no) water?

#2 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 05:06 PM

To be honest I never avoid water.   Never seemed to affect me one way or the other.   In fact when I'm having a bad bout I have to drink water or become dehydrated. 

• annie7 and Mgutz like this

#3 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10507 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:00 AM

agree with Bushja1.  

it's not a good idea to avoid water.  especially when you're having a bad bout of D.  you definitely don't want to get dehydrated.  that happened to me once and i ended up in the ER with an electrolyte crash.  not fun--they are very painful.  they put me on IV hydration and kept me in the ICU overnight until i was stabilized.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#4 vanzant

vanzant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 11:11 AM

agree with Bushja1.  

it's not a good idea to avoid water.  especially when you're having a bad bout of D.  you definitely don't want to get dehydrated.  that happened to me once and i ended up in the ER with an electrolyte crash.  not fun.  they put me on IV hydration and kept me in the hospital overnight until i was stabilized.

But part of my IBS is having a bad bout of D constantly (unless I limit my water). 

#5 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:27 PM

But part of my IBS is having a bad bout of D constantly (unless I limit my water). 

I've never heard of water causing diarrhea.   I suppose if you drink a whole bunch.   I wouldn't think normal water consumption would cause a flare up.

• annie7 likes this

#6 APR

APR

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:54 AM

I've never heard of water causing diarrhea.   I suppose if you drink a whole bunch.   I wouldn't think normal water consumption would cause a flare up.

I find that consumption of even a small amount of fluids will intensify symptoms of IBS or trigger diarrhea.  And I mean, almost immediately--not like I drink water and a couple of hours later this happens.  I'm talking within 5-10 minutes.  If I am about to go to sleep, I generally need to avoid drinking water.

I was diagnosed with IBS around 2015 [but had symptoms longer than that], but I have been suspicious that I might actually have EPI (exogenous pancreatic insufficiency) based on a few of my symptoms [especially stool consistency, as my stool seems very oily and is NEVER solid].

I wondered if I was the only one who found symptoms to be triggered or worsened by drinking fluids [and I'm definitely NOT drinking a large amount of fluids].

#7 Ilyria

Ilyria

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 12 September 2020 - 04:44 AM

For me also, even a tiny amount of fluid increases smyptoms during a flare up and triggers instant diahrrea. I mostly drink room temperature water in small sips and reaction is within 10 minutes. I've never been able to drink a whole glass of water in one or two swallows because of cramps. I never drink anything cold or with ice in it-cramps and instant urgent diahrrea.
I don't avoid drinking because of it because not drinking is much much worse than BM..I've just accepted this and work my way around it.
My pancreas is not working as it should so maybe it is pancreas and not ibs related.

#8 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 09:36 AM

I find that consumption of even a small amount of fluids will intensify symptoms of IBS or trigger diarrhea.  And I mean, almost immediately--not like I drink water and a couple of hours later this happens.  I'm talking within 5-10 minutes.  If I am about to go to sleep, I generally need to avoid drinking water.

I was diagnosed with IBS around 2015 [but had symptoms longer than that], but I have been suspicious that I might actually have EPI (exogenous pancreatic insufficiency) based on a few of my symptoms [especially stool consistency, as my stool seems very oily and is NEVER solid].

I wondered if I was the only one who found symptoms to be triggered or worsened by drinking fluids [and I'm definitely NOT drinking a large amount of fluids].

I would definitely have your pancreas levels checked.   My gastro doctor has checked mine twice.  Wasn't that checked before your IBS diagnosis?

#9 Noca

Noca

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:58 PM

Water has no effect either way on me.  I don't avoid it or any other drink.

#10 Athan

Athan

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 11:31 PM

When I need to travel or be away from a bathroom I find myself not drinking water at all, like not even a little in the morning because it is too risky -- despite taking 2 Imodium in the morning. Does anyone else do that? If so, how many days in a row will you go with taking Imodium and drinking barely any (or no) water?

Yes, I do that, especially when I have something like a long trip ahead. Minimize water, up to the point that my family tells me to drink some biggrin.png

Too much water usually affects my IBS. In some cases, it can send me running, especially if I drink a big cold glass before a meal.

Regarding Imodium, one day is my limit. I'm usually constipated the day after, and on the third day, I could have a sudden rebound.

I have looked into the malabsorption syndrome and it matches my symptoms, BUT they are similar to IBS-D and there's no cure, just management.

Read about it :

https://www.webmd.co...on-syndrome#1-2

https://en.wikipedia...ns_and_symptoms

I've had an improvement with butyric acid tablets and created a post about this:

https://www.ibsgroup...c-acid-tablets/

It seems that butyric acid, apart from anti-inflammatory, can help with liquid absorption from the intestine (The efficacy of butyric acid in the prevention of water, sodium, chlorine and potassium loss confirms observations made in animals with cholera)

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4027835/

Hope I could help !

#11 APR

APR

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:30 AM

I would definitely have your pancreas levels checked.   My gastro doctor has checked mine twice.  Wasn't that checked before your IBS diagnosis?

No, they didn't!  I had a colonoscopy done which didn't find anything wrong.

Thanks for the advice!

#12 Mgutz

Mgutz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 October 2020 - 11:37 AM

For me I have to drink water! Especially when I am away from home, it helps me to feel calmed down n cooled down so as to not have an onset anxiety attack about being out. I love it because it helps me to feel full too

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water, drinking water

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here