Help! IBS-D and bad gas - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Help! IBS-D and bad gas

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:48 PM

Advertisement

I've been having a new development and not sure what to do about it. I've been having terrible, terrible smelling gas after almost every thing I ingest or drink. And quite frankly, its a horrendous death smell. Its to the point I cant be around people and now I'm afraid I'm passing it unconsciously. Any ideas on how to stop this? I take Lomotil which has been firming my stools. It does seem to be losing some of its efficacy though as I'm finding myself going more and more, but the stools are still firm so I'm ok with that for now. Sometimes I do feel like I have constipation so I dont take as many the next day. But it doesnt seem to help the passing of gas. I've taken the charcoal pills as well as the simethicone tablets. Like up to 4 a day. Doesn't have any effect.

So I have a few ideas. Its either I have SIBO or maybe my stool is getting trapped along the way and then causing bacteria build up? I dont have to go when I have these gas episodes which seems to be primarily after my evening meals...but the passing of gas can last well into the early morning hours. I seriously cant be in the same house with anyone its that bad. I thought it was a phase that would eventually pass....but this is now been about 8 months.

Any ideas? And if someone suggests probiotics I have taken them in the past but they always gave me diarrhea. However I never took them in conjunction with the Lomotil. So I'm open to it again. And what strain of probiotic would not cause further diarrhea but stop gas production?

My doctors are useless these days now. I feel I tell them what to do. Any ideas? Does anyone else suffer from this too? I mean its really not only inhibiting my social life, but also sexually, mentally. I dont know what to do. I'm exploring going low-fodmap again but that never really did anything for me in the past.

#2 bengee

bengee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:36 PM

i sure feel for you, and indeed can really empathize.

Years ago ibs-d  came on me and along the way eventually a Dr put me on vsl..which did wonders. however, a few years  ago, that all changed, and i set about trying new things etc

Quite by chance , and due to reading it was good for immunity re covid, i started taking inulin, . had been on it for a month or more, and suddenly realized my diarrhea etc had ended! it was a serendipitous surprise, I'm largely off it now, but for six months or more it changed my life

May not work for you of course, and if you try it might take a month for effects to take hold  It's harmless as far as i know, so may be worth trying for a month.

Best wishes to you...i can empathize....

• AZGuy likes this

#3 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:38 AM

I know we have a lot of the same issues.   I take either Lomotil or Motofen.  Motofen is a little stronger so if I'm going to be in stressful situations I take that.  What I have noticed is when the meds are wearing off I get gas something awful.  I feel like something is stuck but I can't have a BM.   My doctor suggested trying Glycerin suppositories.    Really seems to help.  It's like I have incomplete evacuation which causes gas.   I know it seems crazy to take an anti diarrheal and then a suppository to make you go.   It's like my guts are still trying to have a BM and eventually I have to get rid of it.  I don't know if this makes any sense to you but it's hard to describe.  I still have lots of gas but most of the time it's not too smelly.   I wish there was an ant-gas med that worked but nothing has for me. 

#4 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:09 PM

I know we have a lot of the same issues.   I take either Lomotil or Motofen.  Motofen is a little stronger so if I'm going to be in stressful situations I take that.  What I have noticed is when the meds are wearing off I get gas something awful.  I feel like something is stuck but I can't have a BM.   My doctor suggested trying Glycerin suppositories.    Really seems to help.  It's like I have incomplete evacuation which causes gas.   I know it seems crazy to take an anti diarrheal and then a suppository to make you go.   It's like my guts are still trying to have a BM and eventually I have to get rid of it.  I don't know if this makes any sense to you but it's hard to describe.  I still have lots of gas but most of the time it's not too smelly.   I wish there was an ant-gas med that worked but nothing has for me. 

Thanks. I do understand what you're going through and there are times I do feel constipated like that as well. I never though of a suppository though. However I've been going so much lately even taking Lomotil I dont know what is going on. I think my body figured out what I was doing. Just like with imodium.

#5 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:00 PM

I hope that's not the case.  I have been on Lomotil for over 20 years and really haven't noticed it losing it's effectiveness.   Sometimes it works better than others.   How many do you take?  My doctor said I could take up to either 6 or 8  a day.   It's been so long I don't remember.  If I'm going to be traveling or going somewhere where I don't know the bathroom situation I usually start out with 2.   Then take an extra every 3 hours or so.   With Motofen I don't take as many.  Start out with one and then just before I leave I'll take another half.  Still need extra every few hours though.  

#6 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:54 PM

I take 2 pills at first. Than then 1 pill a few hours later if nothing happens. Then maybe another. Maybe I need to up my dose. It still doesn't plug me up. Firms the stool but I still have frequency and some urgency. So its like I still can go all day long but at least its not water. I have some Motofen. Maybe I need to switch to that more consistently. Its just always the same thing, my body eventually figures out a way to get back to having IBS-D.

#7 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:24 AM

So frustrating I know.   I keep hoping there might be a cure but I just turned 70 and wonder if it will be in my lifetime.   I try not to get down but I know I could have done so much more in my life if I didn't have this damn disease.   I get so tired of trying to hide it.  I love to travel but it's so stressful with IBS.   Hopefully not TMI but I'm still very sexually motivated but my girlfriend sleeps in a different room because I get gas so bad at night.  Of course Covid has made matters even worse.

#8 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:44 PM

I totally understand and relate. I'm 49 and I'm actually on disability because of this. I was diagnosed with Crohns over 11 years ago. But as those treatments failed to produce any results they're now toying with the IBS-D route and just maintenance which isn't really helping either. Its destroyed my life, career, no relationship because of this, etc. I've been dealt a bad set of cards.

#9 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 05:18 PM

I thought they could treat Crohns fairly effectively.   In any case,  all these intestinal diseases or whatever you want to call them suck.  In one case we are lucky that it isn't life threatening, but unlucky because there is no cure.  

#10 Kenny

Kenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:19 AM

@AZ Guy : I have been giving a lot of thought to why most of us experience symptoms immediately after we eat just like you. Lets assume 10-15 mins after a meal , we notice either gas or have to rush to the toilet and lets assume its our first meal of the day , so prior to this meal , your stomach is empty.

Here is the kicker : Food takes 2-4 hours to leave the stomach and even enter the small intestine let alone the large intestine. So there is no way that what you have ingested most recently is causing the problem. I think the problem here is the colon is hyper active so as soon as  we have eaten for some reason , the colon starts moving resulting in either gas or a BM.

Conclusion :The food you have eaten most recently is not causing the gas because it has still not made it way to the colon. 

Does this make any sense to you  ? If it does , we can talk about it further.....

#11 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:30 AM

I thought they could treat Crohns fairly effectively.   In any case,  all these intestinal diseases or whatever you want to call them suck.  In one case we are lucky that it isn't life threatening, but unlucky because there is no cure.  

Not me. I even tried the biologics like Humira with no success. And from what I understand most people that do get it under control its only temporary. They usually have to switch meds all the time. I honestly dont believe those kinds of meds help you in the long run. For some I guess. but apparently I'm a mystery.

#12 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:32 AM

@AZ Guy : I have been giving a lot of thought to why most of us experience symptoms immediately after we eat just like you. Lets assume 10-15 mins after a meal , we notice either gas or have to rush to the toilet and lets assume its our first meal of the day , so prior to this meal , your stomach is empty.

Here is the kicker : Food takes 2-4 hours to leave the stomach and even enter the small intestine let alone the large intestine. So there is no way that what you have ingested most recently is causing the problem. I think the problem here is the colon is hyper active so as soon as  we have eaten for some reason , the colon starts moving resulting in either gas or a BM.

Conclusion :The food you have eaten most recently is not causing the gas because it has still not made it way to the colon. 

Does this make any sense to you  ? If it does , we can talk about it further.....

You theory is correct and I've researched that as well. But why then 10-15 minutes after I eat some the smell of the gas is what I just ate but like 10x worse? So how does that travel through my entire system so quick? No one can explain that to me. They say its impossible but it happens. Unless the gas that is created from the food can fly through your system quicker than the digested food can. I dont know.

#13 Kenny

Kenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:08 AM

@AZ Guy. I may be wrong but I'm just putting two and two together . I don't think our gas is from what we have just eaten . I'm not sure why you think it smells of what you may have just eaten... Dont know how you can be sure.... But in any case , if you kind of agree with the "theory" we have just discussed , here is the possible solution :

Now that we know its the NOT the kind of food that we have eaten that is causing the issue(unless its food intolerance and I'm sure by  now you have already ruled out things like gluten intolerance, fructose intolerance )... it boils down to hyperactivity if the bowel . My take on why  the gas produced has an odour , is because your intestines suddenly start moving , which results in the propelling of gas due to the spasms and since it passes through the rectum to leave your system , it carries an odour as stool is being continuously formed and stored in the rectum.

What  is the reason our bowels are hyper ?

Its the  chicken or the egg situation here , anxiety is causing the bowels to move faster , indigestion is causing dysbiosis and dysbiosis is further sending stress signals to the brain resulting in a vicious cycle of anxiety which we cannot get out of .... we still don't know which came first , the chicken or the egg ... but guess what .. i dont think t matters , both have to be addressed.

Solution :

Both the anxiety(with anti anxiety medication) and the dysbiosis(with probiotics) need to be addressed together to break the cycle. Addressing only one issue will lead to partial relief and relapse. Finding the right medication and probiotics maybe the key here. Not everything works for everybody.

I'm not sure how many people will agree with this , but these are my observations after 6 years of experimenting on myself and looking for answers. I just wanted to share this with you.

We are all in the same boat and I hope we can  find a solution together.

#14 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:01 PM

@AZ Guy. I may be wrong but I'm just putting two and two together . I don't think our gas is from what we have just eaten . I'm not sure why you think it smells of what you may have just eaten... Dont know how you can be sure.... But in any case , if you kind of agree with the "theory" we have just discussed , here is the possible solution :

Now that we know its the NOT the kind of food that we have eaten that is causing the issue(unless its food intolerance and I'm sure by  now you have already ruled out things like gluten intolerance, fructose intolerance )... it boils down to hyperactivity if the bowel . My take on why  the gas produced has an odour , is because your intestines suddenly start moving , which results in the propelling of gas due to the spasms and since it passes through the rectum to leave your system , it carries an odour as stool is being continuously formed and stored in the rectum.

What  is the reason our bowels are hyper ?

Its the  chicken or the egg situation here , anxiety is causing the bowels to move faster , indigestion is causing dysbiosis and dysbiosis is further sending stress signals to the brain resulting in a vicious cycle of anxiety which we cannot get out of .... we still don't know which came first , the chicken or the egg ... but guess what .. i dont think t matters , both have to be addressed.

Solution :

Both the anxiety(with anti anxiety medication) and the dysbiosis(with probiotics) need to be addressed together to break the cycle. Addressing only one issue will lead to partial relief and relapse. Finding the right medication and probiotics maybe the key here. Not everything works for everybody.

I'm not sure how many people will agree with this , but these are my observations after 6 years of experimenting on myself and looking for answers. I just wanted to share this with you.

We are all in the same boat and I hope we can  find a solution together.

Well I've been taking anti-anxiety pills for decades. Name it, I've tried it. Xanax, klonopin, ativan. I still take xanax twice a day. None of them help to slow the motility down. And if probiotics work I haven't found one or a strain that hasn't made the situation worse. And I've tried the over the counter ones and the prescription ones like VSL#3, etc. So I dont know.

#15 Kenny

Kenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:28 PM

Have you tried taking both at the same time ? Xanax and probiotics I mean ... What I am trying to get at is maybe the combination of the two together will help ...

Since you are already on Xanax , would it hurt to try out a probiotic for about 2 weeks ? In my humble opinion , please don't start with something like VSL3 because it has 120 billion CFU . Start with any good probiotic that has 5 or 10 billion CFU , and only if you see positive results then keep increasing upwards. Also , in case you do decide to start with probiotics , please start with only one tablet a day . Do not make the mistake of taking 2 in the beginning , it makes things worse....

If you do decide that the above makes sense and you are going to give it a shot , please let me know if it helped you ... 

Wish you the best.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here