Chronic and variable symptoms - mostly incomplete evacuation - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Chronic and variable symptoms - mostly incomplete evacuation

constipation incomplete evacuations bloating

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alanh

alanh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 07:25 PM

Advertisement

I am new to this group and have had what I am told is IBS for well over 20 years now (i'm 67).

Can't pinpoint where it started except to say I was unable to feel empty a lot of the time.

Had breath tests years ago which suggested fructose malabsorpbtion. Have tried so many things over the years.Low fodmap diet, benafibe, metamucil, low gluten, etc etc

Basically I am stuck in a cycle where I have some weeks that are horrible with most days incomplete emptying, bloating, bad taste in mouth, lethargy etc - I always try and empty my bowels after breakfast - on the odd occasion I will go a second time in the day and empty out with complete and instant relief of symptoms. 

Currently more than 50% of the month is a bad day - the bloating discomfort is very disabling.

I do suffer from some moderate anxiety - which of course is a cycle, I wake up anxious about whether I will have a good day or not- also life is pretty stressful at the moment being in Melbourne, Australia - where we are in week 9 of stage 4 lockdown.

I avoid such foods as pasta, pizza, cakes, pastries etc - avoid fried food and overprocessed food.

I am taking a mixture of psyllium / flaxseed / rice bran / sunflower seed / almond meal - take 1 desert spoon in water twice a day, also take a 1/2 tsp magnesium at night.

Have been to dieticians, gastroenterologist, couple of doctors, hypnosis etc - all to no avail - 

I can usually go in the morning, after the initial evac I usually wait for another hour - if I'm luck i'll get a second evac, but on a bad day I can feel there is more there but it will not budge.

The second amount is mostly quite loose - I'm wondering maybe if that retained amount is too loose to form and for the muscles to work properly.

Sometimes if I get really down about it I may take a couple of laxettes every so often just to force a good day - I know that's not good, but it seems the only thing to get a good clean out.

Had a colonoscopy last Dec (regular 3 yearly) - a few polyps as usual but that's it.  Also been diagnosed with reflux.

So - I'm stuck in a bad place - spending an hour in the bathroom every day is tiring, I don't know what else to try?

Almost impossible to go on holidays or to stay with other people - that increases the anxiety and it's embarrassing to spend that much time in the bathroom in a house with others.

I don't want to stay at home and not go anywhere.

Is it too much fibre, not enough fibre, some other dietary things, too much stress.  Something has to change to manage this better 

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome, I would love to have some things to try to give some hope of change.

Look forward to comments - thanks

#2 GJMody

GJMody

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3083 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 12:29 AM

Have you tried Motegrity 2mg. That is supposed to help with constipation. It worked for me from last October and then stopped working in March. Also Linzess may help. Amitizia too. I am taking laxative every second day for my constipation and it's helping. I also take Miralax... polyethylene glycol..25ml.

#3 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:36 AM

Hello alanh and welcome to the board!

The best thing to do is take something every day to help you go, something that works well for you. Please read this whenever you have the time, it should help (click on below link to read):

http://www.ibsgroup....tion-aka-ibs-c/

Good luck & keep us posted!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: constipation, incomplete evacuations, bloating

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here