Messy too-soft stools - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Messy too-soft stools

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tiredofitall16

Tiredofitall16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 11:25 AM

Advertisement

I've not been diagnosed with IBS, but I've had problems with loose/incomplete/soft stools for about a decade, following a few bouts of food poisoning back in 2004-2007. I had a colonoscopy 5 years ago when I turned 50 and it was fine, she just said I had a mild diverticulosis. I generally go every day, but it's usually soft and takes FOREVER to clean up. Often times it's incomplete and I go again later. There's no pain, no real gas or any other discomforts. Just messy stools but that’s more than enough to ruin my day. I've tried calcium, peppermint oil capsules, BRAT diets, eating rice, etc. None of that works. I finally found a functional dietician last year, who got my stool tested and it showed some higher levels of some bacterias, so I went on a bunch of supplements - oil of oregano, Mega spore, Alicillin. That didn't work. Got my stool tested again this year and while some things had improved since last years, others weren't as good, apparently I have some kind of opportunistic bacterias in my gut. No SIBO though.  Right now I'm taking the oil of oregano again, as well as a Flora and another version of the Megaspore capsules. Did FODMAP diet earlier this year for about 2 mths, and it was inconclusive, I've no real problem with dairy or gluten. I try to keep my fodmaps low when I can and have lactose free milk anyway.

I do know that if I eat too much avacado or chickpeas, my stool is much messier the next day. I was taking Sunfiber, but eventually figured out that that also was making my stools messier.  I tired MetaMucil orange last night, only half the packet and had a decent formed one this morning, but then went again 2 hours later and it was messy...so goes my life. Clearly I don’t do well with soluble fibers.

So I am trying to find something, ANYTHING, that will add bulk to my stools. I think that perhaps INsoluble fiber might work, but wondering if anyone else has tried that and had sucess?

#2 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:07 PM

Have you tried imodium, lomotil or motofen? Those slow your tract down which helps to form your stools. I find lomotil the best for me personally. Certainly not a cure but I've hard firmer movements than without.

#3 Tiredofitall16

Tiredofitall16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:30 PM

Have you tried imodium, lomotil or motofen? Those slow your tract down which helps to form your stools. I find lomotil the best for me personally. Certainly not a cure but I've hard firmer movements than without.

I haven’t. I hate to have to go that route, because I wouldn’t want to have to take them on a long-term basis. I’ll look into it. thank you!

#4 GiGi

GiGi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 06:27 PM

Try Pepto Bismol.  It kills bacteria. stools will turn dark.  

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here