Usually miserable - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Usually miserable

IBS-C

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 10 years

10 years

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 04 October 2020 - 06:34 AM

Advertisement

Hello fellow travelers,

A friend sent the link to this forum. This is my first post.

I am a 70 yo man and live alone. IBS took hold of me over ten years ago. My suspicion is that IBS began while I was living in rural Australia and drank rain water collected into large holding tanks. It seems the bugs would have died long ago, but conditions are worse now than ever before.

My day is dictated by IBS. Where I go, how long I will be out, what I eat before I go out, the availability of bathrooms, and of course how my gut is feeling at any particular moment, are decisions I make every day. After several tests, including abdominal CT scans, MRIs, blood and fecal tests, two endoscopies, the best doctors offer me is that the problems are idiopathic. Well, thank you modern science.

Every laxative, stool softener, stimulant, and prescribed anti-gas medicine, only caused greater abdominal and/or intestinal stress (read: misery). My diet is so restricted that I wish for a life-sustaining magic pill. Even most of the wonderful Summer fruits are off my grocery list.

Well, that's enough about me. None of this is anything new to any of you. So then, what about you? Let's see if I can finagle my way into your hearts and minds. Come talk with me.

John 

#2 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2140 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:42 AM

Hello 10 years and welcome to the board.

Have you ever tried the carnivore diet for your IBS? "Eat meat, drink water." I am not eating meat 100% of the time, I'm more like 70% to 80% meat, but it's much easier to go with a diet that is heavy on meat for me. Perhaps it's something you might want to try? 

Good luck & keep us posted!

#3 mellosphere

mellosphere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:31 AM

Flossy i have also found i do best with a meat heavy diet. I am still searching for a way to get more carbs though because i dont feel top notch being low carb all the time. Would also be nice if i didnt feel so hungry. Been doing mostly meat now for like 3 months. What else are you supplementing your meat diet with to get you by?

#4 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2140 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 09:43 AM

Flossy i have also found i do best with a meat heavy diet. I am still searching for a way to get more carbs though because i dont feel top notch being low carb all the time. Would also be nice if i didnt feel so hungry. Been doing mostly meat now for like 3 months. What else are you supplementing your meat diet with to get you by?

Oh, the usual: Pizza (a slice at work for lunch) & salad when I'm home. Fig Newtons sometimes and also Subway chocolate chips cookies for dessert. I'm starting to eat pasta again with spaghetti sauce and a lot of garlic mixed in. My intestines love garlic. Thank God for the mandatory masks! lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-C

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here