Building muscle - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Building muscle

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mr_poopybutthole

mr_poopybutthole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 10 October 2020 - 10:02 AM

Advertisement

Hi all,

I've recently taken an interest in weighlifting and bodybuilding and am currently bulking to try and pack on some muscle. However, I'm finding it very difficult to do so because of my IBS-D. Everything I eat just goes straight through me, and after about six months of training hard and bulking (high calorie and high protein diet), I've only gained a couple of kilograms, some of which is fat. Compounded by the difficulty of bulking on the low FODMAP diet, I really feel like my progress is being hampered.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone here have any experience bodybuilding with IBS?

2. Because of the speed with which food passes through me, do I need to eat more than a person with a healthy digestive system would have to to gain weight?

#2 Ilyria

Ilyria

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:49 PM

Hello mr_poopybutthole
I don't think there are that manny people here interested in this particular sport for obvious reasons. Maybe you can check general discussion or ibs-c too. As you noticed it is very hard to bulk up on Fodmap diet. But this diet lasts for 2 months and after that you should be able to reintroduce at least some of the fodmaps. Don't eat restricted for a very long time-it does more damage than it helps.
Eating more food in a meal will not help you in a way you imagine..it will probably cause even more diahrrea. You need to find a good dietitian/nutricionst who can help you plan your meals. Also keep in mind that most of us with ibs-d have more or less damaged bowels:leaky gut,malabsorption,malnutrition are things you need to check if you want to see progress.
Good luck with your sport..I wish you well!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here