What's the next step? Severe constipation - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

What's the next step? Severe constipation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bicyclefor2

bicyclefor2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 06:20 PM

Advertisement

I've tried colace, miralax, senna, milk of magnesia, enemas, linzess 290, tons of water, blackberries, prunes, prune juice, magnesium citrate, magnesium supplement, etc.  I have had only bare minimal results (small amounts of diarrhea and very narrow stools, both after a tremendous amount of straining). The only thing that gave me any relief was an enema in the ER but it didn't clean me out 100% as the  next day I was back to straining and about 1 teaspoon of diarrhea.  I had another trip to urgent care today and after an xray was told my entire colon is still full of stool but there is no obstruction so told to keep drinking lots and lots of water, take miralax, etc. They tried to remove stool digitally but nothing was reachable so that didn't work.  In total I've had 8 medical visits for this in the past month and I'm getting nowhere.  Tired of being told to take more of this or that when it is obvious it is not moving what is in me.  Something is stuck, holding everything up.  Just did a mineral oil enema and passed nothing but the enema.  

At what point does someone say something other than take more miralax or take a fiber supplement, etc?  I'm uncomfortable as heck, am barely eating because I don't want to add anything else to my plugged up system and feel like I'm not being taken seriously.  This is not run of the mill constipation as the PA so "kindly" told me today.  I plan on calling the GI doc tomorrow but know know how to get my point across that after two months nothing has changed despite taking double doses of all of this.  What should he be doing for me at this point?

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10231 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:33 AM

so sorry your are still having problems.

did you try taking linzess WITH a meal, like i suggested,  instead of taking it 30 minutes before a meal as prescribed?

also, like i mentioned in one of your other posts, straining is bad for you.  it is counterproductive and locks up your pelvic floor muscles so it makes it even harder to get stool out.  here is a utube video on how to have a bm without straining:

if you find you do have to strain constantly to get stool out, you could have pelvic floor dysfunction.  ask your doc to get tested for it.  biofeedback and physical therapy can help correct this situation. 

have you tried Dr Schulze Intestinal Formula #1?  you really should try it. you can buy it on amazon.  or on their website.  it might be cheaper on their website.   a lot of people here have had good success with it. and it has great reviews. 

there are other C meds out there besides linzess.  two of them- Motegrity and Zelnorm--are prokinetics. they increase peristalsis and are a lot more effective than linzess and similar meds.  ask your doc about trying them.  i think either of these would help you,

if you feel your doc isn't taking you seriously, then get another doctor.  often gastro docs who work at university hospitals are more knowledgeable,  up-to-date, and proactive than other gastro docs.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 bicyclefor2

bicyclefor2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 09:54 AM

Thank you for your response.   For the most part I'm taking Lizness as the doctor prescribed which is 30 minutes before eating.  I cut it down to 20 but not going any further at this point.  I know it's not good too strain but it's the only way to get anything at all out.

My question isn't about what other meds to take or switching doctors, it's what should I expect the doctor be doing at this point?  I need to call him today and let him know that all the laxatives aren't working.  Does anyone know what a doctor does at this point?

#4 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2131 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:17 AM

Hi bicyclefor2 -

If I were you I would do what Annie suggested and definitely try Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula # 1, max strength. Take them with your main meal of the day, right in the middle of it. You can get them at the link below:

https://www.herbdoc....l-formula-1-max

Note: I take 1 I.F. # 1 regular strength capsule every day, have been for years... (I used to take more than 1 a day.) 

Good luck & keep us posted!

• annie7 likes this

#5 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10231 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 11:56 AM

My question isn't about what other meds to take or switching doctors, it's what should I expect the doctor be doing at this point?  I need to call him today and let him know that all the laxatives aren't working.  Does anyone know what a doctor does at this point?

if linzess isn't helping you, then your doc will probably have you try one of the other C meds, like motegrity, zelnorm, etc.  that's what my gastro doc had me do.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#6 bicyclefor2

bicyclefor2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 08:59 PM

There must come a time when the doctor realizes this is no ordinary constipation.  What happens at that point?  This is where I fear I am.  My stool is full and nothing is moving it out.  I can't put more laxatives into me.  Does the doctor just shrug his/her shoulders and say "sorry, I can't help you anymore."  Then what does one do?

#7 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10231 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:25 AM

well, as a last resort there's always surgery.  that's what i had.

if none of the constipation meds work for you and laxatives and enemas don't work either, the doc can run some tests to see exactly what the problem is.  the sitz marker test (colonic transit study) will show if you have colonic inertia.  the anal manometry will show if you have pelvic floor dysfunction, rectal hyposensitivity, etc.  i was dx'd with colonic inertia, pfd and rectal hyposensitivity and some other problems. 

if you have colonic inertia but do not have pfd, you can have a total colectomy with ileorectal anastomsis .  they remove your colon and hook up the end of your small intestine to your rectum.  i desperately wanted that surgery but i didn't qualify for  it because i had pfd.

if you do have both colonic inertia and pfd, you can have an ileostomy--a bag--which is what i have.  my quality of life is much better now. 

#8 GJMody

GJMody

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2727 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:20 AM

You need to go for colonic irrigation by medical professional. In this water with great force is pushed into the colon. So the waste matter comes out. You may have to do two to three times. Once the colon is empty then you can ask your GI doc what meds to take. Not all GI docs are good. You can consult one who listens. Dr. Schulze intestinal formula has proved good constipation although I have not used it.

#9 GJMody

GJMody

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2727 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:21 AM

*good for

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here