Can one take Miralax everyday? - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Can one take Miralax everyday?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dlqc

dlqc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 12:47 PM

Advertisement

My GI told me to take it every day, but Miralax says do not take it consecutively for more than seven days. So I am worried whether it may have any side effects. Googled but did not find any information about the side effects of Miralax. Thank you!

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11525 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 01:22 PM

yes you can take miralax every day. that's what both my gastro docs told me.  

it says not to take it for more than 7 days on the bottle because they want you to check with your doctor first.

• dlqc likes this

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 Stevect06

Stevect06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:42 PM

My primary doctor also says it's OK to take daily. I've been doing that for about 6 years with no side effects. I like that it's tasteless. It always goes in my coffee every morning.

I always buy the Value Size (if available) for the lowest cost per dosage.

• dlqc likes this

#4 Positiveside

Positiveside

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 12:20 PM

Mine too, allowed to take one daily

• dlqc likes this

#5 Stevect06

Stevect06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 06:57 PM

Although Miralax would be my first choice, I sometimes see limited stock of the item. Most stores that have Miralax have Clearlax - I believe similar if not the very same ingredients. I wonder if anyone uses Clearlax? I asked about it a while back. I'm tempted to buy a small container and try it - but don't dare want it to not work and cause trouble.

• dlqc likes this

#6 ChronicTick

ChronicTick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 06:30 PM

I've been on MiraLAX daily for over a year now and its the only thing keeping me out of the hospital. I was told there are no long term side-effects or addictive tendencies since its not stimulative.

#7 dlqc

dlqc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 09:52 PM

My primary doctor also says it's OK to take daily. I've been doing that for about 6 years with no side effects. I like that it's tasteless. It always goes in my coffee every morning.

I always buy the Value Size (if available) for the lowest cost per dosage.

Thanks Steve! Do you find yourself now completely dependent on Miralax, like if you don't have it in the morning on a day then you won't be able to have bowel movement on that day? Also, do you use other medicines with Miralax to enhance its effect? I used Miralax for a few days but I feel its effect becomes much weaker after a few days of using it.

#8 Stevect06

Stevect06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:57 PM

You're welcome dlqc. I guess I am completely dependent on Miralax. I can't say what would happen if I skipped a dose in the morning - I don't dare try! I can say once when I had D I skipped a dose assuming I didn't need it - bad idea. Ended up with big time C and took Magnesium Citrate to remedy it. 

Sorry Miralax seems to lose it's effectiveness with you. If anything - it almost works to well. Sometimes there's days when I excuse my self often and rather urgently. I'll sometimes reduce the dosage but that has caused C. Most of the time it's just Miralax in the morning. If C starts I may up the dosage or for more severe cases I have Magnesium Citrate or Lactulose on hand. Don't know about the effectiveness of Lactulose though.

#9 wgbutler

wgbutler

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:10 AM

Some studies have been done that found that polyethylene glycol is safe when taken over long periods of time.

For example:

https://jamanetwork....hout encopresis.

#10 Stevect06

Stevect06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:19 AM

The article is encouraging. 

#11 sparrow

sparrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 26 November 2020 - 07:16 PM

Miralax to me is NOT tasteless. When I put it in my coffee it ruins the taste.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here