Managing IBS-C - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Managing IBS-C

Managing IBS-C

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kira627

Kira627

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:02 AM

Advertisement

Hi! I just joined this online forum. I am 64 years old and was diagnosed with IBS when I was eighteen. During most of my adult life I have successfully controlled severe IBS. I have had a regular gastroenterologist for the past 15 years. However, a year ago, I became very sick, to the point where I would have to spend entire days in bed with a heating pad, drinking peppermint and ginger tea and eating saltine crackers. I work with a licensed nutritionist. I can only have frequent very small meals and can tolerate a very limited number of types of food. I used to have an extremely healthy diet which included a daily green salad, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, fish and chicken and I enjoyed eating out at restaurants serving ethnic foods. I am severely lactose intolerant. When I became very ill from IBS symptoms; terrible abdominal pain, extreme nausea and constipation (whereas, formerly I was IBS-D). My gastroenterologist did a thorough work-up. I had a colonoscopy, numerous blood studies, barium studies, X-ray studies, CAT scans and MRIs. Every test was normal. My gastroenterologist told me there is nothing further she can do for me.  Yet, I suffer from terrible pain which is very debilitating. As I am writing this, I feel acutely sick with intense abdominal pain and nausea. I used to take lomotil, bentyl and zofran, but am no longer able to use these medications because of side effects. Dealing with this disorder, with the constant pain is depressing. Does anyone have any suggestions? They would be most welcome.

#2 Shelley2

Shelley2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:57 PM

I am a year older than you with the IBS-C.  With trial and error I have found some things that have worked for almost 2 years.  I take Natural Calm Magnesium, you work your way up from 1/2 tsp until you get to where it works for you.  I dissolve 2 tsp in a glass of warm water nightly.  The taste is strong, some people like it. I usually add a little tea.  I will also take a drop of CBD oil, lemon flavor, under my tongue when I am having a bad day.  Anxiety has been a big factor with me, I worried about not going, worried about this, worried about that and so on.  For this I found IBS-Audio Program 100 by Michael Mahoney.  The sessions are between 20-30 minutes and you listen to them for 100 days.  I usually listened at night, sometimes I would fall asleep.  You can find quite a bit about the program on this forum.  I listen to a session about once a week now just keep my anxiety from leaping out of control. I can't take phara drugs because they just don't agree with me so had to figure this out for myself.  Hope this helps a little.

#3 GJMody

GJMody

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4093 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:47 PM

Have you tried Motegrity or Linzess? They might help. What about laxative? I have IBS-C and am taking Motegrity and laxative which is helping me. Hopefully others here will also give their suggestions. You can also ask your doctor for other meds which have lesser side effects.

#4 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2142 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:57 AM

Hi Kira627 -

The best thing to do is to take something every day to help you go. Read the link below, whenever you have the time. It has plenty of supplements I've tried and should give you some idea what you might want to try yourself.

http://www.ibsgroup....tion-aka-ibs-c/

Good luck & keep us posted!

#5 Stevect06

Stevect06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 06:49 PM

I'm a year younger than you Kira627 (nice dog!). Sorry to hear about the pain you've been experiencing. I have IBS-C and have been taking Miralax daily. It usually works - sometimes too well but I'll take that any day over not being able to go. Your meals seem very healthy - but with us that have IBS-C fiber could make things worse. Before I learned that could be the case here on this forum (thank you annie7) I was eating fiber big time. I've noticed an improvement by cutting down. Not eliminating all fiber fortunately - I do like fruits and vegetables and I believe we need them in at least small quantities for good health.

#6 aries_wmn

aries_wmn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 08:02 PM

Sorry you have to deal with this! Sometimes getting a second opinion from a new GI doc can be helpful. I know Linzess can help with abdominal pain, and I believe Amitza can as well, but have less experience with it. Also some GI doctors will prescribe a tricyclic antidepressant to help with pain. So there's definitely meds out there that may reduce the abdominal pain you're dealing with. I also find probiotics help with pain overall, but they take awhile to work.

#7 GJMody

GJMody

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4093 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:21 AM

Mebeverine will also help with pain but don't take too much as constipation is a side effect.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Managing IBS-C

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here