Liver Hemangioma on Ultrasound - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Liver Hemangioma on Ultrasound

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cendy99

Cendy99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 November 2020 - 07:25 PM

Advertisement
Hello all, I know this forum is not the place to get medical advice, but I guess Im looking for reassurance...Ive had IBS now for about 10 months, but it seems to ever so slowly getting a bit better. However, 2 weeks ago I had such terrible nausea (and Ive been struggling to get an appointment with my GI or ANY other GI for that matter) that I drove myself to the ER hoping to find some relief....all bloodwork was normal, however they found a small (what they think) is a hemangioma by ultrasound. I was told it wasnt urgent, but to follow up with an MRI through my primary care doctor. In the meantime, my health anxiety is through the roof! I called my friend who has been an ultrasound tech for nearly 20 years and she said it wasnt a big deal and was surprised they were even following up with an MRI. She said she found one on herself and never thought about it again...fast forward to this Friday...MRI scheduled for this past Sunday and I got a call that my insurance wont cover it so it was cancelled. I honestly felt relief, but should I push for this? I REALLY hate investigative testing that is not necessary. It causes me extreme anxiety. I guess I wouldnt be giving it this much thought, but because Im still not 100%, my mind is racing that this could be some kind of metastatic lesion.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • annie7 likes this

#2 TMM388

TMM388

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:36 PM

Hi Cendy99.  I have a hemangioma too.  In fact one of my doctors told me he has one too.  they are fairly common.  Most people don't know they have them, they are something that is found on routine ultrasound.  Mine was discovered in 2015 and they made me go back for ultrasounds every 6 months for 4-5 times just to make sure it's stable.  they can grow, shrink, or stay the same.  they are not cancerous and do not turn cancerous.  Don't freak out, they are not uncommon. When my doctor called me to tell me the news that they found this on my ultrasound he said "people have these and live to 90 years old."  Best wishes to you. If that's all it is, you'll be fine. 

#3 TMM388

TMM388

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:39 PM

also if they told you it was small, that's really good.  as I understand it people can have them up to 10cm and that's not good because they are very vascular - they have a large blood supply. so when people have them that large they tell them not to do contact sports incase it ruptures.  But if yours is small which I think they would categorize that as less than a centimeter, then just watch it, and follow your doctors advice.  they scan it a few times and then they leave it alone. 

#4 Cendy99

Cendy99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 November 2020 - 05:57 PM

Thank you for the reply! You know I wouldnt be as concerned if they found it and I felt fine. I guess not feeling great in the GI Tracy for as long as I have sets my mind racing..first thing I thought was oh God! What if its a metastatic lesion! I hate having to follow up on this, but appreciate you taking the time to reply with some calming words. Thank you!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here