FODMAP for IBS-A - IBS Alternating (IBS-A) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

FODMAP for IBS-A

No replies to this topic

#1 Displaced

Displaced

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:45 PM

I've always been diagnosed with IBS-C yet had both long spans with no activity (the constipation side of things) and days I refer to as "frequency" days when I begin having bowel movements almost as soon as I woke up and it continues all day, although tapering off after several hours. Occasionally this pattern lasts for more than one day, although more typically it happens every week or two for just one day. I was always told this was just my body's reaction to the constipation, letting it all out at once, but it really sounds more like IBS-A to me. I recently began working with a dietitian whose specialties include IBS, and she recommended I try a modified version of the FODMAP diet, eliminating just a few of the worst offenders on that plan for several weeks and reintroducing them one by one. She also recommended I go gluten-free, but not because of the gluten itself but rather some compound in it that's a problem under the FODMAP plan. However, she cautioned that the FODMAP diet is more successful for people with diarrhea, and that's not always my problem. I'm willing to try her recommendations, although the gluten free part will be a real challenge since I like to bake and am not sure how many of my recipes can be successfully adapted. I am not sure that it's meant to be a permanent change or just while we try to determine if certain foods or components make things better or worse. Has anyone here tried the FODMAP plan, in a limited fashion or strictly following the entire approach? How did that work?

Reply to this topic

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here