Incredibly scared it might be serious - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Incredibly scared it might be serious

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TryingMyBest

TryingMyBest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 07:03 PM

Advertisement
Hi, I know posts like this are probably everywhere but the anxiety over my symptoms is eating me alive. I know forums are not a doctor but hearing others' perspectives would be welcome. For what it's worth I've been under a ton of stress all year if that can affect any of this.

I'm 23 year old and AFAB, and I first noticed some odd things about 2 months or so ago. To go into more detail:

I've begun experiencing constipation on a pretty regular basis. Sometimes it's the usual harder stool, but sometimes it's actually fairly soft but for whatever reason difficult to move. Not in the sense that it feels blocked, but moreso more that pushing just isn't doing anything. Still, this doesn't happen every time. More water and fiber sometimes seem to help a little but don't solve it.

Incomplete evacuation has also been an issue. I'll feel like there's still more up in there but at the same time it doesn't feel like it's in a position where pushing would have an effect if that makes any sense. The discomfort comes and goes in short waves, and feels almost cramplike. When I do get sufficiently empty the feeling subsides completely (until there's something else to pass). This cramplike discomfort tends to intensify over time until I pass something, which generally relieves it for at least a little while.

Sometimes I see mucus when passing stool. It's not what I would call a huge amount, but it is noticeable. Sometimes it is on the paper and sometimes I only see some in the bowl. As for color it's usually clear but sometimes whitish in places.

Consistency is possibly what's eating at me the most. I don't have a solid baseline for what my 'normal' was before all this started because I didn't have one single particular way I was used to seeing it. However, since I've been paying attention (ie since this started) sometimes it's been an unremarkable 4 on the chart, sometimes smaller broken up pieces that can be either harder or softer, and sometimes harder or cracked but otherwise intact. However, I have noted thinner (vertically) stools that are worrying me. Not every time, but still. I have read that they can indicate something serious, but I have ALSO read that the thin stools = tumors thing is a load of crock. Not that it helps my massive anxiety. However, I can't rule out that I could have been having them before all this and just never noticed. I honestly do not know.

These are the main things, other than that I haven't really been experiencing other symptoms. No real abdominal pain, no weight loss or nausea, no unusual fatigue or bloody stool or anything like that. As far as I am aware no family history of cancer of this type either.

Sorry for length of this post. I'd REALLY appreciate hearing if anyone else has experienced this. Does this sound more like IBS or something worse? I'm trying not to panic but it's very hard, especially when I currently do not have health insurance. Thank you very much in advance.

#2 TryingMyBest

TryingMyBest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 07:40 PM

Something I forgot to add (also I didn't see an edit button on mobile, so sorry): my symptoms as far as I can tell don't seem to be getting worse, and some days I have little to no trouble at all, whereas some days are rough. But as an average, on the whole, they don't seem to be worsening.

#3 flankking

flankking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:22 PM

I don't there is a need to be alarmed, especially that you don't feel abdominal pains and other symptoms. I think you just need to change your diet, more fiber and water. try drinking prune juice or eating prunes, it worked for me. otherwise, you go and see a doctor

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here