Anyone have experience with colchicine or misoprostol - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Anyone have experience with colchicine or misoprostol

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sjw596

sjw596

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:23 PM

Advertisement

As I research alternative drugs for CIC, I came across the two in the title.  I haven't heard of them before, let alone in connection with CIC.  I realize that we're all different, but I wonder whether anyone has had positive or negative results from long term use of these drugs.  I believe that their use for CIC would be off-label, although widely accepted for CIC.  Thanks.  

#2 GJMody

GJMody

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3074 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:06 AM

Never heard of them. I will check in Google.

#3 GJMody

GJMody

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3074 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:06 AM

Never heard of them. I will check in Google.

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10551 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:29 AM

i've  tried  both misoprostol and colchicine for my C.

my experience with colchicine was miserable.  it did not make me go plus i had horrible abdominal pain with it.

misoprostol did work for me.  it gave me lots of D--reminded me of linzess.   but unfortunately it finally stopped working, which  was disappointing.

but those were my experiences.  we're all different in how we react to meds, so really you should give them a try.  you might have better luck than i did.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 sjw596

sjw596

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:24 PM

I'm still on Motegrity, now for over a year.  It does help, though not as much as in the beginning, as is the case with many of the prescription meds.  Yes, we're all different, and Linzess worked well for me for quite a while, in increasing doses.  Motegrity requires me to use an osmotic to avoid harder stools, so I add MOM, and helps.  I'm going to see my GI-PA nd wanted to see whether I could try a different adjunct for my Motegrity.  Often, GIs don't want to mix drugs, for no express reason, other than they don't know what will happen. Miralax gave me terrible gas and colace is pretty useless.  Offhand, do you recall the dose and how/when you took misoprostol?  One thing that would be interesting would be to see whether I could replace Motegrity with misoprostol.  

#6 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10551 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:46 PM

sorry motegrity isn't helping as much as it used to.  have you tried stopping it for a while--like 5-7 days or so--and then starting it up again?  that's what i used to do with zelnorm, a med that is similar to motegrity.  i'd stop it for a while and then it would work better when i started taking it again.

anyway--sorry but i don't remember what dose of misoprostol i took--it was all so long ago.  i do remember that i took it first thing in the morning, when i got up. 

i imagine you've already read this article about it:

https://onlinelibrar...36.1997.00237.x

good luck with it if you do try it.  i do think that it is definitely worth a try.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#7 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10551 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:00 PM

ps--i do remember that i discovered that if i took senna along with misoprostol, it made it work even better.

#8 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10551 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:47 PM

re dosage--i just found this post of mine about misoprostol:

https://www.ibsgroup...r-constipation/

#9 sjw596

sjw596

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 02:55 PM

Thanks very much.  My GI-NP said she'd be happy to try misoprostol...but she hasn't prescribed it before and noted that the side effects you described are rather common.  So, I declined. I have enough bloating/gas/IBS, etc., without getting symptoms from yet another source.  The Motegrity easily may be adding to my IBS symptoms, albeit with some positive results.  This is kind of like a zero-sum contest.  I did see that IBgard may offer some relief from the typical IBS symptoms, so maybe it's worth a try.

BTW, Harvard Health offers an excellent online course entitled The Sensitive Gut, https://www.health.h...e-sensitive-gut.  For $30, you get unlimited access to the program.  I found it quite informative, and I'm a long-time sufferer.  

#10 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10551 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 03:17 PM

thanks for the tip about the harvard health course. sounds helpful.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here