New here and hoping to find some guidance! - Welcome! - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

New here and hoping to find some guidance!

IBS-C Lower left quadrant pain

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ibsctriathlete

ibsctriathlete

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:16 AM

Advertisement

Hi all! 

I am new to this forum and hoping to find some guidance from others who may have, or are, suffering similar symptoms.

I am an avid runner and triathlete, have suffered constipation almost my entire adult life and started experiencing IBS symptoms about 8-10 years ago (currently mid-50's), and continue to evolve. On Dr advise used MOM for many years with some results and then entered a phase of EXTREME symptoms of spasms with excruciating pain. I was then advised to use Senna-S. This again was effective for several years until about 1.5-2 years ago when I started experiencing almost constant lower left quadrant abdominal pain and intermittent bleeding. I was then switched to Linzess (still a feeling of incomplete BMs), this was about a year ago. I have since gained 14 pounds, am constantly bloated and in the past 2 months have entered a cycle of near impaction in which I am nauseous and a feeling of fullness in the top of my esophagus. I was told to drink magnesium citrate and after a day of feeling like "crap", finally felt more human. Only to have the same cycle repeat about 7 days later. Yes, 7 days after mag citrate and taking Linzess daily my PCP took an xray when I came in for abdominal pain again (horror story with the GI doctor nurse in his office) and told me I was literally full of stool again. So..... I really am not looking forward to a cleanse with mag citrate every  7-10 day. I am starting to feel crazy that this should be acceptable and there is not another underlying cause.

Anyone have a similar experience or suggestions??  A dietician I have worked with suggested the calm magnesium drink. At this point i am almost willing to try anything but am wondering if I should discontinue the Linzess as I try this??  Thoughts??

Thank you for reading and for any guidance you can offer!!

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11943 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:16 PM

so sorry for all the problems you're having.  chronic constipation is truly miserable.

i hope you are seeing a good gastroenterologist.

it sounds like linzess isn't working for you if you are still full of stool after taking it..

yeah, mag citrate is really nasty.  i hated drinking that stuff.

have you tried motegrity yet (prucalopride).  unlike linzess (which just adds fluid to the stool), motegrity is a prokinetic  which increases motility.  that might work better for you. definitely worth a try.

if you want to know if there's an underlying cause. you can have tests.  after i had my tests (sitz marker test and defecogram) i was dx'd with colonic inertia, pelvic floor dysfunction and some other problems.  my gastro doc told me to take whatever i need to go, so i took dulcolax and milk of magnesia daily (motegrity was not yet available back then--only linzess, which didn't work for me).  anyway, the dulcolax/MOM combo did work.  one thing to remember if you try this combo--make sure and take them at least an hour apart or you'll get cramping.

you can try Calm, but you might need something stronger than that like motegrity or a stimlant laxative.

good luck.  hope you feel better soon.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 ibsctriathlete

ibsctriathlete

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 02:20 PM

Thank you so much for the response. I have not tried, nor has anyone talked about, motegrity. That along with the testing you mentioned are great talking points for my upcoming Dr. appt. 

When you used the dulcolax/MOM combo, did you take it in the morning or evening?

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11943 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 02:24 PM

i took dulcolax around 5:30 pm because it took a good 12 hours to work for me.

and i took MOM before i went to bed.

and yes, tests are a good idea.  that way you know exactly what's going on. 

• Positiveside likes this

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 JDalton

JDalton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 09:58 PM

I'm so sorry you're experiencing all this.

I completely agree - you should be addressing the root cause (and you're not crazy for thinking that!). The laxatives are helpful and necessary(!!) but it sounds like you want to understand why your body is unable to go to the bathroom, and then fix it. Have you tried comprehensive stool testing (like the GI MAP?), to see what's health status and makeup of the microbiome? Those findings, paired with a good functional nutrition/medicine professional can be really powerful.

#6 Positiveside

Positiveside

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 11:37 PM

Hi there! It's so stressful dealing with constipation. I hear Senna is not good for long term use. MOM worked for me.

I'm curious as to what your dietician have included in your diet? 

#7 ibsctriathlete

ibsctriathlete

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 06:04 AM

UPDATE:

Thank you all for the great comments. It seems I am moving in the right direction. I discontinued using the Linzess and have been drinking a Calm drink each evening (2tsp of powder with hot water, according to the directions). Success!  I am at least 'going' each morning and the feeling of fullness is mostly gone. Although the abdominal pains are still there, they are less constant and lower intensity. Have an appointment with GI doctor in January and will ask for tests mentioned here, but do have a suspicion there is some gall bladder issues going on as well. 

This group and your experiences has very much helped me feel less crazy and more in control. THANK YOU!!

#8 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11943 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 08:45 AM

thanks for the update.  so glad to hear that Calm is helping you. 

good luck with your GI doc appointment in january.

• ibsctriathlete likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-C, Lower left quadrant pain

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here