Anyone try Levsin or Bentyl for IBS-C? - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Anyone try Levsin or Bentyl for IBS-C?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sjw596

sjw596

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 01:35 PM

Advertisement

I've suffered IBC-C for more than 40 years and have taken every available prescription drug.  I've been on Motegrity for over a year, and it helps; not as much as when I started. I use MOM and/or Miralax as an adjunct for their osmotic properties.  Now, the IBS part of my condition is giving me fits. I do have a BM daily, but usually incomplete.  After a meal, I feel as though I should have a BM and feel the "urge" transversely along my lower abdomen.  Lot's of gas.  To actually go, I have to strain slightly, which produces meager results, but makes me feel better.  It's as though having a BM "makes room" for more material to pass along my colon too soon, where it wants to come out. 

Maybe I'm taking too much MOM.  My recent colonoscopy was fine, and I had a right hemicolectomy six years ago.  The GI-NP has given me Levsin to try, 0.125 mg, sublingual when symptoms begin.  I've taken it a couple times thus far, with no or very little improvement; I can try 0.25 mg.  Has anyone with similar symptoms tried Levsin?  I also understand the Bentyl is an alternative, but have no idea whether it would work better/worse.  Thanks.

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11525 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 01:46 PM

both levsin and bentyl are antispasmodics and, as such,  can be constipating.  i'm a bit surprised they prescribed these for you

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 sjw596

sjw596

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 02:09 PM

Thanks.  I did see that when I studied the drugs, but the Levin hasn't done that yet, though my dose is minimal.  In a way, having a constipating effect could be a good thing after meals, as long as it doesn't go too far.  I've considered taking a couple Pepto Bismol tabs, but they also may be constipating and work against my MOM.  

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here