VSL #3 or other probiotic stops working? - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

VSL #3 or other probiotic stops working?

VSL probiotic IBS-D

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Anonymous1010

Anonymous1010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 05:13 PM

Advertisement

I've had IBS-D for more than a decade. I have experienced the same despair as everyone else in this forum. It is a really tough disorder to deal with.  I had been taking VSL #3 for about a year and I was doing okay. I had managed to achieve a little stability and not have every morning be awful. However, about a month ago, it seemed to suddenly stop working. Now EVERY morning is back to being terrible. Has anyone ever had the experience of a probiotic not working any longer? Can the body get too accustomed to a probiotic? Are we supposed to rotate between different probiotics? 

I'm not sure what to do now. I've had to fall back on things like immodium and pepto, but I'd really like to try and get off those again. Does anyone have any advice or experience about what to do if your probiotic seems to stop working? Should I switch probiotics, stop them, increase the dosage, rotate between multiple probiotics? I really don't know what to do, and I don't want to make it worse.  

#2 Athan

Athan

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 03:49 AM

Hello Anonymous1010

VSL had no effect on me. But the same goes (more or less) for all the probiotics I've tried. 

The best effect came from a product that combined Saccharomyces Boulardii – Bifidobacterium Lactis – Lactobacillus Acidophillus – Lactobacillus Plantarum, but even this had a slight improvement on my IBS.

I think that it's difficult to find a working probiotic, because each of us is missing different and specific microbes from our microbiome.

#3 rajiv_gupta

rajiv_gupta

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 07 December 2020 - 11:55 AM

i had tried VSL#3 and many other probiotics but they never helped me.

once i started Kefir, initial month or two it real helped but it was back to square one, after some time.

#4 Kenny

Kenny

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 09 December 2020 - 07:28 AM

I had the same experience with probiotics. They did wonders in the first week or 2 , immense reduction in the constant gas that I used to experience. But it stopped working for me after a month.

Also as a side note , wanted to add it was not  VSL3 that helped me even though the "help" was short lived   . I caught a  break with some other probiotics(yogut- an Indian brand) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VSL, probiotic, IBS-D

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here