over the counter or prescription - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

over the counter or prescription

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 elgee

elgee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:48 AM

Advertisement

My constipation has continued to worsen over the past few months. I'm guessing that I have slow colonic inertia but will find out more when I have a colonoscopy in February. In the meantime I have to take a boatload of otc constipation meds to keep from backing up. I'm slowly having to increase what I'm taking because it doesn't take long for the meds to lose their effectiveness . My question is, do I continue to use the otc meds as long as they're working or do I ask my doctor for a prescription medication.  

Thank you.

elgee

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11575 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 12:32 PM

so sorry that your constipation is getting worse.  living with chronic constipation is miserable.  

i was dx'd with colonic inertia with the sitz marker test (colonic transit study).

anyway, to answer your question--really, you can do whatever you want but you might want to ask your gastro doc about trying one of the prescription meds, just to see if any of them are more effective than the laxatives.  sometimes the docs will give you free samples to try.  

good luck! 

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here