New findings for IBS - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

New findings for IBS

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 njstomach3

njstomach3

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:49 AM

Advertisement
Came across this article, worth a read. A possible answer to our trouble..

https://www.genengne...bowel-syndrome/
  • Athan likes this

#2 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:50 PM

I think I've lost hope for new discoveries or possible answers. I've had this long enough I've seen so many studies and miracle drugs come out they said would help us but never do...like Xifaxan or Viberzi. Yet none of them have done a thing for me. I guess we can always hope, but I dont have much faith anymore.

#3 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 05:40 PM

I have to agree.    I've had this problem for almost 35 years and tried every new thing that might help.  Nothing ever does.    I only get some relief using Motofen or Lomotil.   Certainly not a cure.   They just help with the symptoms.  It would truly be a god send if someone came up with a cure. I'm 70 years old and have pretty much given up it happening in my lifetime. 

• Akn1965 likes this

#4 Athan

Athan

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:28 AM

The article is interesting and has some common ground with some of my "outbreaks". Problem is that IBS pain is only mentioned, not IBS as a whole.

As it is very wisely saying... "In a healthy intestine, the immune system does not react to foods, so the first step for the KU Leuven team in their latest studies was to find out what might cause this tolerance to break down."

I think that in my case, IBS came first, causing my gut to lose whatever self-protecting mechanisms it had, which in turn led to reaction to certain foods.

I've had this for 40 yrs and I'm not losing hope. Why are you people giving up? I know it sucks but we have to stay strong and hopeful !!

Look at the bright side... we've come to visit a great variety of toilets in our life, much more than "normal" people do biggrin.png 

Take care, stay healthy everyone and have a great 2021 !!!

• njstomach3 likes this

#5 MareCare

MareCare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:32 AM

Well I hope it's helps, have been suffering from IBS for years now

#6 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:20 AM

What I find strange is that I really don't have any problem with pain from my IBS-D aside from a sore butt.    Of course I get cramps when I get diarrhea but they go away as soon as I go.    I get a lot of intestinal rumblings but I wouldn't call it pain. 

#7 njstomach3

njstomach3

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:19 PM

we all suffer in different ways. For me the pain/cramps are the most debilitating part of it. When you sit with that punched in the gut feeling and contemplate having to go to the hospital, its no fun! With that being said, I never give up or loose hope. I've dealt with this for about 20 years and im still a fairly young guy. We may never get a full answer but the hope is to better manage it. Although there have been many articles over the years stating that they have new findings etc. It gives me relief and hope that they continue to try and pour money into research. May easier days come for all of us, take care all. 

#8 lilyyy

lilyyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 February 2021 - 03:06 PM

we all suffer in different ways. For me the pain/cramps are the most debilitating part of it. When you sit with that punched in the gut feeling and contemplate having to go to the hospital, its no fun! With that being said, I never give up or loose hope. I've dealt with this for about 20 years and im still a fairly young guy. We may never get a full answer but the hope is to better manage it. Although there have been many articles over the years stating that they have new findings etc. It gives me relief and hope that they continue to try and pour money into research. May easier days come for all of us, take care all. 

Have you ever taken antispasmodic?

#9 Ktsparks

Ktsparks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 February 2021 - 09:14 PM

Hi guys! I'm new here. I am so relieved that this group exists. I have felt so alone. I have been suffering with IBS-D and vomiting with tachycardia, for the past 16 years I'm currently 29, started at age of 13 with stomach rumbling that started in the top and went to the bottom with abdominal pain and once I had diarrhea I felt better, later I life symptoms are worse. Typically starts around 7:30-8pm and lasts until 2a. Now as an adult I experience cramping and than soft poop, to dizziness and overheating, to vomiting, and then diarrhea. I get exhausted. I try to drink water. I take a probiotic, gluten free diet, no tomatoes, dairy free diet, nothing processed, as I have made a diary of my meals when I have an episode to eliminate the amount of episodes I get. I have tried bentyl, which helped until I start vomiting, I've tried zofran but same thing. I also try famotidine prior to eating, not too much help.

#10 njstomach3

njstomach3

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 12:32 PM

Have you ever taken antispasmodic?

yea, i take hyocoscymine for cramping, helps a little but nothing great. I wish there was something stronger. 

• jputting likes this

#11 jputting

jputting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 02:59 AM

Hi,

I been living with IBS-D for over 40 years, my first attack of pain was so bad I called an ambulance and was taken to my local public hospital emergency department, after enduring a prolonged wait while suffering very painful bowel cramps in a foetal position I was finally examined and promptly told that I have IBS and that NO treatments were available and simply placed under observation until the painful cramps subsided and was ok to go back home.

As another member njstomach3 stated over the counter medications can help I use a product(I'm not sure if we are permitted to specify the names of commercial products so I will be cautious and avoid naming brands.)

The product label states that is formulated with;

Atropine Sulfate Monohydrate 19.4 micrograms

Hyoscine Hydrobromide 6.5 micrograms

Hyoscyamine Sulfate Dihydrate 103.7 micrograms

I find that these tablets stop the cramping pain for me.

However the most important factor is the dosage, the label specifies 1 or 2 tablets taken 3 x daily.

One or two tablets is simply not enough for intense cramping pains.

To get effective relief I have to double the dosage to 4 tablets, and that amount stops the cramping pain.

Be aware that a high dosage will most likely cause dryness of the mucous membranes, but I suspect a dry mouth and nose is a small price to pay for relief of painful cramps. I also suffer from Allergic Rhinitis and so that side effect was an unexpected bonus!!.

I have also found that if I notice slight tensing of my abdomen and suspect a cramp is about to begin, a strong dose of Loperamide Hydrochloride of 2 or 3 capsules can often prevent it from occurring. But it must be taken very early or it will be too late to be effective

Loperamide is used regularly to combat my IBS-D diarrhoea and it works by inhibiting peristalsis(the involuntary constriction and relaxation of the muscles of the intestine)

#12 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 February 2021 - 03:43 AM

Just FYI...you can mention names of products.

The first one I think you're talking about a product called Donnatab, which is only available in Australia. I would guess the USA version of it is a prescription called Donnatel but the ingredients are slightly different. SO not sure if we can get that in the states.

The Loperamide is Imodium and commonly found everywhere. 

Thanks for sharing and good for you for finding over the counter stuff that works for you.

#13 jputting

jputting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 05:07 AM

Hi,

Thanks for advising me that we are free to name over the counter products, I was just being cautious.

The first product I mentioned is indeed "DonnaTabs" they are the one product which for me stops the bad cramping pains, I have been using them for decades and they haven't ;et me down yet.

But the high dosage is the all important key factor.

I was advised by a pharmacy that Loperamide/Imodium could ward off bowl cramps if taken early enough and once again a higher than usual dosage is needed for effectiveness.

I do know my food trigger factors for bowel cramps and know how to avoid them, but always have DonnaTabs on hand just in case I'm having a cramping pain due to unknown factors.

The most troublesome aspect of IBS-D is trying to find the cause of my diarrhoea and need Loperamide/Imodium on most days just to control that aspect.

I am currently trying a Low FODMAP diet and for the first few days it seemed I had made a breakthrough in establishing the cause, but then symptoms returned and It now seems that my usage of Stevia type sweeteners maybe another factor due to the high amounts of Erythritol they contain.

So I am now removing all artificial or Stevia sweeteners and will see if that helps.

But from what I have read scientific studies are indicating that gross disturbances of bowel bacteria is the key factor in many cases of IBS.

There was a documentary on ABC TV in Australia which focused on these conditions(I can no longer remember the name of it), one woman involved had samples take of her faeces and it was discovered that she had high levels of bad bowel bacteria responsible for releasing inflammatory compounds.

They extensively changed her diet to include foods which would promote the growth of good bowel bacteria and inhibit the levels of reduce the levels of bad bacteria and keep the release inflammation causing bacteria as low as possible.

The results for this woman were quite good and most of her IBS symptoms were gone until she visited a friend for dinner and inadvertently consumed Garlic which was a known trigger factor and suffered the consequences.

Low FODMAP diets are also directly pointing the finger at bad types of bowel bacteria as it is the fermentation of high FODMAP foods that can cause gas, bloating, diarrhoea and increase the levels of inflammation causing chemicals and draw extra water into the bowel.

#14 Athan

Athan

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:43 AM

I am currently trying a Low FODMAP diet and for the first few days it seemed I had made a breakthrough in establishing the cause, but then symptoms returned and It now seems that my usage of Stevia type sweeteners maybe another factor due to the high amounts of Erythritol they contain.

So I am now removing all artificial or Stevia sweeteners and will see if that helps.

Stevia is definitely a trigger for me. In chocolates, ice-creams, sodas, etc. Wherever and whenever I tried it, I got a flare up.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here