IBS took control of my life - Working and Careers - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS took control of my life

bloating

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Saina

Saina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 18 January 2021 - 04:00 AM

Advertisement

Hey guys, at least it is good to know that there are people like me so i feel less lonely!

I have been diagnosed with IBS about 5 years ago, and it happened suddenly.

I had menstrual pain, like a lot and i went to doctor and he gave me an antibiotic called metronidazole cz he thought it might be an infection; long story short, a week later symptoms started and never have gone till today, not even one single doctor believed me when i said it was caused by the medicine, since then even after defecating my stomach starts bloating so bad and loud that i feel there's WW3 in there! :)

it took control of my life for a year after that, my grades fell and it was the last year of my bachelor's, but i managed to get out and finish my education, although i know I am smart and i could do a lot better, i couldn't take part in classes and lost many important info.

the symptoms got better when i immigrated to another country as it relieved a lot of anxiety that i had, but it started again when I found a good office job which has a quiet space anyone can hear what is going on inside my stomach! perfect right? just when you think everything's fine.

So here i went to my GP, and she mentioned FODMAP, i am so skeptical about this new method and it is hard to keep up with, cz i work 9 hours a day and can't cook myself every time, but i need to keep working and want to live normally, so I wanna ask, does FODMAP diet work?

what about simethicone? i heard that will relieve bloating, and do you guys have any other experience or advice for me? i'll appreciate any advice that can help me get out of this hell! 

#2 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 05:58 PM

I suffer with the intestinal noises also,   Been going on for years.   Unfortunately I have never found anything that works really well.   Diet didn't work for me but it's worth a try since we are all different.   I have tried all different sorts of simethicone to no avail.  My Gastroenter ologist prescribed Dycyclomine for my stomach cramps and it seems to calm down my guts to a certain extent.  Worth a try,  but does require a prescription.  Applying a heating pad helps some but of course can't be used out in public. 

• Saina likes this

#3 Ilyria

Ilyria

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:03 AM

Hello
FODMAP worked for me and still works. I know it seems very restrictive in the beginning but that is the point..to eliminate everything that could be harmful to your bowels. Then you need to reintroduce the food and find what works for you specifically. You cannot be on full restricted FODMAP for a long time because that can make you even worse and deprive your body of essential nutrients. So read a lot about FODMAP groups and maybe modify it a bit if you have to. I known this sounds rude but every now and then most of us eat things we know full well that are going to make us sick so you probably know some of your triggers already. Write it down and start a food diary(or aplication if you don't like notebooks) this will make it easier to keep track of your symptoms.
For work enviroment I have no advice..everyone in my office knows I'm sick and I'm not embarassed at all by my defective and flawed body. Frankly, I look so broken sometimes that people are just glad it's not something terminal and nobody cares about sounds or my bathroom breaks. We are a thight group and I'm not the only one with health issues so maybe that's the reason. Good luck

#4 Ylba

Ylba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 January 2021 - 02:39 AM

I use simethicone with every meal and it seems to help. But it could just be a psychological thing.

It might be expensive but a SIBO 3 hour breath test might help.

Also, a GI map to rule out other things that might be wrong.

And a good functional medicine physician who can help you interpret the test results if your gasteoenterologist is unable to.

I have IBS and had SIBO for about a year or so. It was one of the most horrible experiences of my life with gas, bloating, pain, diarrhea. But once I was treated for it I felt a lot better.

I still have IBS but it is a lot better an way more under control after treating the SIBO. I think it would be worth the money for you to do the SIBO test if you can. Especially since your problems started after taking an antibiotic.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#5 Saina

Saina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 January 2021 - 05:32 AM

I suffer with the intestinal noises also,   Been going on for years.   Unfortunately I have never found anything that works really well.   Diet didn't work for me but it's worth a try since we are all different.   I have tried all different sorts of simethicone to no avail.  My Gastroenter ologist prescribed Dycyclomine for my stomach cramps and it seems to calm down my guts to a certain extent.  Worth a try,  but does require a prescription.  Applying a heating pad helps some but of course can't be used out in public. 

Thanks for sharing your experience, i recently tried some low FODMAP foods but I think the lists in the internet is incomplete, because i tried eggplant and although it wasn't a high FODMAP, it made me super bloated the next day, so i had to go to toilet many times. i have tried Dicyclomine for my period cramps, it kinda works, but my GP said not to use it much, as it gives me constipation and I already have constipation!

I will try simethicone and write if it worked.

also, i found a way that can help you 50% or more, it is not scientific but whatever helps, so when I am at work I try to control my brain instead of my body, it's like telling myself that even if everybody hears it, it is ok and they don't care, it works half of the time, and i should say it is really hard to control your thoughts but it is worth a try.

I have practiced this since five years ago, and in exams and meetings it works sometimes, so give it a shot!

#6 Saina

Saina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 January 2021 - 05:43 AM

Hello
FODMAP worked for me and still works. I know it seems very restrictive in the beginning but that is the point..to eliminate everything that could be harmful to your bowels. Then you need to reintroduce the food and find what works for you specifically. You cannot be on full restricted FODMAP for a long time because that can make you even worse and deprive your body of essential nutrients. So read a lot about FODMAP groups and maybe modify it a bit if you have to. I known this sounds rude but every now and then most of us eat things we know full well that are going to make us sick so you probably know some of your triggers already. Write it down and start a food diary(or aplication if you don't like notebooks) this will make it easier to keep track of your symptoms.
For work enviroment I have no advice..everyone in my office knows I'm sick and I'm not embarassed at all by my defective and flawed body. Frankly, I look so broken sometimes that people are just glad it's not something terminal and nobody cares about sounds or my bathroom breaks. We are a thight group and I'm not the only one with health issues so maybe that's the reason. Good luck

thank you for your reply, yes I am kinda starting fodmap then i get tired and leave it, cz it's so hard to keep up!

i cannot drink gaseous drinks at all, or milk or fruit yogurt, or any kind of bean or lentils, i can't go near them, but i also love them:))

although i eat or drink them usually on weekend so the next day is off.

the bad thing is I am a shy person and I'd like to seem like a quiet lady or whatever, and unfortunately i have been thought from childhood to care about what others think and always look my best, which i am working on not to do anymore cz it's pointless.

at the end i think my collogues don't care and it is only me who cares about this, but i still am unable to stop thinking about it!

#7 Saina

Saina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 January 2021 - 05:58 AM

I use simethicone with every meal and it seems to help. But it could just be a psychological thing.

It might be expensive but a SIBO 3 hour breath test might help.

Also, a GI map to rule out other things that might be wrong.

And a good functional medicine physician who can help you interpret the test results if your gasteoenterologist is unable to.

I have IBS and had SIBO for about a year or so. It was one of the most horrible experiences of my life with gas, bloating, pain, diarrhea. But once I was treated for it I felt a lot better.

I still have IBS but it is a lot better an way more under control after treating the SIBO. I think it would be worth the money for you to do the SIBO test if you can. Especially since your problems started after taking an antibiotic.

thanks for your notes, i actually did the stool test and a blood test, turns out my bacteria is ok, but about sibo, i searched about it and seems like a lactose intolerance test, i am not sure though, but i have also done lactose test and I am lactose intolerant. so i cut milk from my diet soon after i realized.

and yes, it is definitely psychological and I can feel that it heightens when i think about people hearing it or when I am in a small crowded space, thanks for covid:)) no more of those classes anymore.

but still i can say that sth physically is wrong with me, i was thinking about colonoscopy but i am kinda afraid to do it, don't know, i think i start fully with fodmap and if it didn't work then i consider doing it. 

#8 Ylba

Ylba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:10 AM

thanks for your notes, i actually did the stool test and a blood test, turns out my bacteria is ok, but about sibo, i searched about it and seems like a lactose intolerance test, i am not sure though, but i have also done lactose test and I am lactose intolerant. so i cut milk from my diet soon after i realized.
and yes, it is definitely psychological and I can feel that it heightens when i think about people hearing it or when I am in a small crowded space, thanks for covid:)) no more of those classes anymore.
but still i can say that sth physically is wrong with me, i was thinking about colonoscopy but i am kinda afraid to do it, don't know, i think i start fully with fodmap and if it didn't work then i consider doing it. 

No problem.

SIBO actually isn't a lactose intolerance test. It tests for an overgrowth of bacteria. The test uses lactulose which is different from lactose. Lactulose is used in the test, the test isn't testing for it, but for an overgrowth of bacteria. Hope that helps!

I hope fodmap works for you and you find some relief! Sorry you have to go through this. I know it's hard.

• Saina likes this

#9 betsy

betsy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 05 March 2021 - 06:15 PM

I too have suffered the ravages of this horrible syndrome.  Tried low fodmaps, different laxatives - now Metamucil.

RX drugs.  I want to know how to expel the gas.  Any takers?  NDs are hard to get in to - about 2 month waiting list.  Wow there are so many of us..

By the by, anxiety makes everthing worse.  Almost like  migraine or a toothache, that lasts all day.  Try to keep busy, exercise is always desireable and good for you.  I am 70 and act like a 30 year old.  I swim bike and walk.

Does GasX work that is simethicone.

Most of my diet is gluten free altho I have a bran muffin everyday.  All of my diet is healthy. 

When I was a young teenager, a doctor said I should have 6 tsps. of molasses and mineral oil.  I now use cbd oil

to around 30 ml (it is legal in Canada). 

#10 betsy

betsy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 05 March 2021 - 06:21 PM

I too have suffered the ravages of this syndrome.  Low fodmap diets, lots of fruit and vegs.  I want to know how to expel the gas.  Does GasX work?(simethicone).  I am on some RX drugs which help somewhat.  Keep active.  I am 70 going on 30, swim walk and bike.  Eat a pretty much gluten free diet, except for a bran muffin.  NDs are hard to get into , up to a 2 month waiting list.  When I was a young teen a doctor said for me to take 6tsps. of molasses and mineral oil.  I now take cdbd oil (legal in Canada).

Look forward to responses.

Betsy

• Saina likes this

#11 MrGoose

MrGoose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:39 PM

Gas-X helps with some of the bloating.  I mix a big scoop of benefiber and a teaspoon of Metamucil together in juice.  Helps me get cleared out, since I mostly have IBS-C.    I also found out, just not stuffing yourself at any meal is a good thing, causes a lot more gas and bloating.   I am also on Linzess every morning.  Eat soluble fibers first, like bread or pasta. 

• Saina likes this

#12 Saina

Saina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:00 AM

I too have suffered the ravages of this syndrome.  Low fodmap diets, lots of fruit and vegs.  I want to know how to expel the gas.  Does GasX work?(simethicone).  I am on some RX drugs which help somewhat.  Keep active.  I am 70 going on 30, swim walk and bike.  Eat a pretty much gluten free diet, except for a bran muffin.  NDs are hard to get into , up to a 2 month waiting list.  When I was a young teen a doctor said for me to take 6tsps. of molasses and mineral oil.  I now take cdbd oil (legal in Canada).

Look forward to responses.

Betsy

Gas-X helps with some of the bloating.  I mix a big scoop of benefiber and a teaspoon of Metamucil together in juice.  Helps me get cleared out, since I mostly have IBS-C.    I also found out, just not stuffing yourself at any meal is a good thing, causes a lot more gas and bloating.   I am also on Linzess every morning.  Eat soluble fibers first, like bread or pasta. 

thank you both, honestly i am experimenting right now and trying to figure out what food is good for me, but recently i have figured out two things:

first, my work has a really negative impact on me and makes me more nervous, i was actually ok before i started the job, but their unreasonable expectations makes me nervous, so i plan to quit soon enough:))

second: FODMAP doesn't work for everybody and each body is totally different that another, but what i figured out is that our bodies will work almost exactly as our parents, so we should ask them what they have problem with.

a good point to consider is that, accepting it, helps a lot! just accept what you have and you become more calm about it and then anxiety will decrease, cz you just say "it is what it is".

Although i am really hopeful that in near future we are going to have permanent solution for this!

#13 Kenny

Kenny

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 14 May 2021 - 02:36 PM

@Saina :You seem to be very clear that a round of antibiotics caused your IBS which is great. Most of us cant seem to pinpoint an exact reason or root cause and therefore don't know which direction our "solution" lies.

If antibiotics caused it , then isn't it clear that the medicine destroyed your gut microbiome  and therefore your solution lies in that direction ? Have you tried probiotics or any other fermented foods (non diary since you cannot tolerate diary)?  Stool tests cant be relied upon a 100% because the microbiome is an upcoming area of research

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bloating

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here