#1 pam

pam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 March 2021 - 07:41 PM

Advertisement

I'm a 74 year old woman who has had IBS with diarrhea for 50 years! I've seen so many docs & there's been nothing they can suggest.

My last yearly checkup my doc suggested the Podmap diet, which I do follow; however, I see no difference. I started taking Imodium 2 a day last year & it helps. But it seems I have bouts where I just don't feel well & no matter what I do I get diarrhea. It causes social anxiety & especially when I want to go somewhere I get so far down the road & start feeling sick & need to go back home.

My husband has suggested the Mayo Clinic. Have any of you gone there & had progress?

#2 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 05:01 PM

I'd been to Mayo Clinic many years ago.   I was just starting to develop what I now know is IBS.   Back then they were just ruling out cancer.   I am 70 years old and have suffered for 30 years and have come to the conclusion that a good gastroenterologist is the most help.   Have you asked your doctor for any prescription anti-diarrheals?   I have found that Lomotil or Motofen are more effective than Imodium.   Still they are not a cure.   They help me but I still feel like I have to go even when on them.   It's just reassuring that I'm probably not going to have diarrhea. 

#3 Silviegee

Silviegee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:08 PM

I'm sorry, Pam. You have had such a long awful time with this!
Compare to you I'm a newbie. I had a week-long bout Spring 2018 then it disappeared, to come back on a pretty regular basis Spring 2020.

I have never used any drugs. I experimented with quite a few herbals. Some helped a bit, but nothing special and I could see they weren't really changing anything.

But I then started homeopathic treatment with a professional practitioner, and at the same time taking a high-MGO (medical grade) Manuka Honey 3 times a day. I've been doing that since December.
As time has gone by I have noticed a really subtle slow improvement, and I keep a detailed journal of foods etc
The foods are the same so it's not that.

I have been getting 3-6 bad gut days a month, and the rest, perfectly normal stools! That's on average 4 or 5 bad days and 25 good days per month for the last 2 months.

I have also been able to eat foods again like chickpeas, broccoli, cabbage (but I am still being very careful about re-introducing high FODMAPs and doing it in a very measured way.)

The only drawbacks are the the cost of monthly homeopathy appointments (which costs £60 here in UK, which isn't too bad.) and with that is about £50-60 a month for Manuka Honey.

But those things might have helped because I have only had IBS-D for a short time....I don't know.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here