Recently diagnosed - looking for advice - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Recently diagnosed - looking for advice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan

Jordan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 10:30 AM

Advertisement

Hi everyone,

Canadian here. Just got the official diagnosis today, IBS-D. Started in November 2020 with a feeling of having to go (only when I left the house), gradually progressed since then with cramping, gas, bloating, diarrhea, and frequent movements. Ruled out H. pylori, got a colonoscopy that found nothing and ruled out Crohn's and colitis.

The docs have tried a couple things: pinaverium bromide (supposed to calm the bowels), buscopan (for cramps), and escitalopram (SSRI for anxiety). The first two didn't seem to have any effect. I had a horrible reaction to the escitalopram and had to stop that.

Just got a prescription for rifaximin, but I'm worried that when I go to pick it up it'll be over $1000 (no prescription drug coverage here in Ontario).

Been trying fibre suppliments and low-FODMAP without much luck. Recently started with probiotics (b. infantis) so we'll see in a month or two if that helps at all.

Not sure what to do next. Feels like the rest of my life has just vanished. Can barely leave the house without feeling like I'm going to crap my pants. Can't focus on work.

Any advice?

#2 Kenny

Kenny

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 March 2021 - 02:59 PM

Hello , 

Sorry to hear you are suffering . With over 6 years into IBS , here s my advice .. If i were you I would try the following in the same order

Probiotics -> (If this does not work , only then try) -> Rifaximin.

Other than the above two , I have not had luck with anything else , so no comments on any other medication , even though I have tried everything under the sun at this point .

Good Luck !

#3 Noca

Noca

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 12:08 AM

Do you have no drug coverage period or just Rifaximin that you don't have covered?  If you got some form of drug coverage, try Doxepin, provides 24 hour relief of IBS-D.  Topical high THC cannabis oil rubbed directly onto your belly can really help with cramps within 30 seconds of applying it.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here