GERD and IBS alternating. Why? - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

GERD and IBS alternating. Why?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Silviegee

Silviegee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 05:51 PM

Advertisement

Does anyone else get this? I have both GERD and IBS -D with trapped wind, lower abdominal distension and flatulence.

I've noticed that when the IBS flares up the GERD goes quiet, and when the GERD gets worse, the IBS is okay.

One theory I came up with is maybe digestive speed: for instance when it slows down, the stomach empties slower (causing reflux) And when it speeds up, the stomach empties faster but it causes issues  downstream....

I have no idea if that's right or not. Also what would cause the digestive system to speed sometimes and slow down sometimes randomly like that?

I don't know why this alternating thing goes on. I just wish of course that they would both agree to calm down!!
Does anyone have any ideas why this happens?

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here