Metamucil Isn't Working Anymore? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Metamucil Isn't Working Anymore?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AmandaJ2

AmandaJ2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:57 PM

Advertisement

Hi there. First time poster. I've struggled with IBS-C for my whole life. After over a year of incomplete evacuations and anal leakage, I was told to try Metamucil. I've taken a tablespoon every other day for the last 2-2.5 years and it worked perfectly. Six weeks ago I started suffering from incomplete bowel movements, anal leakage, and a new fresh hell: mucus. In addition, my stools, once the perfect consistency, are now soft (like soft serve), skinnier, and lighter brown than before.

Does anyone have any tips on what to do now? Citrucel? Benefiber?

If it helps, I already know I'm lactose intolerant, I eat a lot of vegetables, and exercise regularly.

Thank you!

#2 agreenie

agreenie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 07 April 2021 - 10:26 PM

That's wild, 6 weeks ago is when my symptoms changed in this way too. At first I thought it was a stomach bug, until it didn't go away for two weeks... Diet and stress management didn't help, only pharmaceuticals did, and now I'm doing a new diet (low FODMAP) and a new stress management (hypnotherapy). Was it the fiber source helping you or the ritual of it? I've never heard of becoming resistant to a fiber supplement and needing more over time, but that just might be my own ignorance. I've set up an allergy panel just to make sure my case isn't the random chaos of aging and to maybe suss out whatever the new trigger is. Maybe that could be helpful to you as well?

The mucus part sucks the most. Scares me shi- ...er....

#3 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2143 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 10:43 AM

Hi there. First time poster. I've struggled with IBS-C for my whole life. After over a year of incomplete evacuations and anal leakage, I was told to try Metamucil. I've taken a tablespoon every other day for the last 2-2.5 years and it worked perfectly. Six weeks ago I started suffering from incomplete bowel movements, anal leakage, and a new fresh hell: mucus. In addition, my stools, once the perfect consistency, are now soft (like soft serve), skinnier, and lighter brown than before.

Does anyone have any tips on what to do now? Citrucel? Benefiber?

If it helps, I already know I'm lactose intolerant, I eat a lot of vegetables, and exercise regularly.

Thank you!

Hi Amanda and welcome to the board!

I would try something different to help you go. Click on below link to view:

"Finally! A product I can recommend"

http://www.ibsgroup....-can-recommend/

Good luck & keep us posted!

• annie7 likes this

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here