Bloating , Why does it happen ? - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Bloating , Why does it happen ?

Bloating

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kenny

Kenny

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 14 April 2021 - 12:57 PM

Advertisement
Hey guys ,I have a technical question. How does one go from a flat tummy before a meal to a bloated tummy as soon as 15-20 mins into the meal ?
If you look up bloating on the net, it says it is caused by excessive gas in the "large intestine" because the food you ate was not digested properly and therefore is being acted on by bacteria.(Note not the stomach , but the large intestine)
So my question is : If It takes food to 6-8 hours to leave the stomach and enter even the small intestine( let alone the large intestine), then , how on earth do we bloat up immediately after a meal ? Just makes no sense , something does not add up. Anybody who has knowledge about this , would reeli appreciate your thoughts # Learning about my digestive disorder

#2 Athan

Athan

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:54 PM

Hi Kenny

I'm not sure what you mean about bloating, but after a meal and within some time, I -sometimes- have an urgent need to visit a toilet.

Of course, there is no way for any food to be digested in this short time.

I think that it has to do with my bowel overacting, mobilizing too soon and trying to move whatever is left inside.

I believe it's more related to the (autonomous) nervous system, than the intestine's operation.

One way to avoid this is by making sure that morning toilet visits "empty" the bowel and that I don't get too many liquids before meals.

#3 Kenny

Kenny

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 14 April 2021 - 02:45 PM

Hi Kenny

I'm not sure what you mean about bloating, but after a meal and within some time, I -sometimes- have an urgent need to visit a toilet.

Of course, there is no way for any food to be digested in this short time.

I think that it has to do with my bowel overacting, mobilizing too soon and trying to move whatever is left inside.

I believe it's more related to the (autonomous) nervous system, than the intestine's operation.

One way to avoid this is by making sure that morning toilet visits "empty" the bowel and that I don't get too many liquids before meals.

Thanks Athan . Bloating is when suddenly a lot of gas collects in your abdomen and makes the whole bely appear distended.(Was not referring to a BM in this case).A bloated stomach almost appears like a pregnant stomach , maybe 2-3 months pregnant ( just to describe what a bloat would look like). It happens as soon as 10-15 mins into the meal

I am guessing you personally don't have an issue with bloating after meals and therefore you are unfamiliar with it ?

#4 celestin

celestin

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:11 AM

So my question is : If It takes food to 6-8 hours to leave the stomach and enter even the small intestine

6-8 hours?? No, some food can reach the small intestine after 30 minutes. Liquids after a few minutes.

#5 Athan

Athan

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:45 AM

Thanks Athan . Bloating is when suddenly a lot of gas collects in your abdomen and makes the whole bely appear distended.(Was not referring to a BM in this case).A bloated stomach almost appears like a pregnant stomach , maybe 2-3 months pregnant ( just to describe what a bloat would look like). It happens as soon as 10-15 mins into the meal

I am guessing you personally don't have an issue with bloating after meals and therefore you are unfamiliar with it ?

Kenny, I don't have this particular symptom. It sounds pretty nasty! As if IBSD wasn't bad enough on it's own...

I experience bloating, after eating liquid dairy (i.e. milk cream, ice cream, etc). 

As Celestin said, liquids travel fast in my system (with the speed of light....)

#6 Kenny

Kenny

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:24 PM

Kenny, I don't have this particular symptom. It sounds pretty nasty! As if IBSD wasn't bad enough on it's own...

I experience bloating, after eating liquid dairy (i.e. milk cream, ice cream, etc). 

As Celestin said, liquids travel fast in my system (with the speed of light....)

Thanks Athan !

#7 Kenny

Kenny

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:34 PM

6-8 hours?? No, some food can reach the small intestine after 30 minutes. Liquids after a few minutes.

30 mins to reach  the small intestine ?  The internet says differently :-(... Tried multiple sources. Says it takes at least 4-5 hours for the stomach to empty if we are talking about solid food.

#8 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:02 PM

I've always understood it takes hours to reach the small intestine. 

• Kenny likes this

#9 mellosphere

mellosphere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 06:29 AM

It takes time for the stomach to empty, but theres definitely some movement of food into the intestines quickly after beginning to eat, especially if there is a lot of liquid in your stomach. I struggle with bloating too and i think the answer as to why this happens is SIBO!

#10 Kenny

Kenny

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:08 AM

It takes time for the stomach to empty, but theres definitely some movement of food into the intestines quickly after beginning to eat, especially if there is a lot of liquid in your stomach. I struggle with bloating too and i think the answer as to why this happens is SIBO!

This makes sense . I just wish that there was accurate stats/information available on the net so we could learn more . If movement starts into the small intestine (whether liquid or solid) soon after eating , this should be made clear .I mean its not that hard to figure out with a simple barium test , just wish the information was better out there ...

#11 Positiveside

Positiveside

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:11 AM

I also feel bloated but there is no pain or any other symptoms like SIBO

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bloating

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here