Fecal Occult Test positive - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Fecal Occult Test positive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 searchingforinfo

searchingforinfo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:34 PM

Advertisement
Hi.im new to this forum. Just wanted to see if anyone had gotten a positive fecal Occult Test, and what was next for you? I've had a colonoscopy 2 years ago. They found 1 polyp, removed and biopsy was non cancerous. I also have been diagnosed with internal hemorrhoids as well. I'm hoping that's the reason the test hit a positive. I'm a 45 yo male. Any replies are welcomed and appreciated.

#2 Silviegee

Silviegee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:20 PM

Some of those occult blood tests even show a positive if someone ate a rare steak the night before or had a slight gum bleed while brushing teeth.

There is one test that is more specific, but I'm sorry I can't recall exactly which it is. It maybe that it's the "FIT" (fecal immunological test) test that doesn't give false positives....and the "FOB" (fecal occult blood)  test that does, but please check that.

Otherwise, if you have internal hemorrhoids, it's highly likely that they will bleed from time to time. But if in doubt ask your doctor for advice.

#3 searchingforinfo

searchingforinfo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 06:13 PM

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I'm hoping it's hemorrhoids,or some else minor that triggered the positive.

#4 MT8

MT8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:17 PM

Im a 46 year old female with IBS.
My mother just got a colonoscopy after having a positive FIT test with her primary doctor. After getting the colonoscopy and having no polyps, the gastroenterologist told her to never take those FIT tests because they can show false positive. The doctor said he gets people in their 80s coming in for colonoscopies just because of these positive FIT tests and he said they otherwise would not give people in their 80s colonoscopies.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here