What do I do when even Low Fodmaps don't agree with my gut? - Diet - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

What do I do when even Low Fodmaps don't agree with my gut?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Silviegee

Silviegee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 05:22 PM

Advertisement

I often can't tolerate even low FODMAPS

I had a flare-up (IBS-D) a few days ago and since then have had to really restrict my diet. I'm OK on white rice and white ciabatta toast. I'm OK with butter and eggs (hard boiled) I can just about manage lettuce and green beans. But can't handle  so many other foods. I have just been living on the above.

Even when not having a flare-up I find that many low FODMAP foods like carrots, green bananas, grapes, potatoes will trigger me. I am taking a multivitamin-mineral and a low dose B complex because I know whatever I do, I am not getting enough nutrition. I have become so skinny too and can't help it.

Just over a year ago I could eat anything and had such a healthy diet. It's so discouraging..

A friend who had IBS-D for 18 years and cured it with the low FODMAP diet recommende that I *should" immediately go gluten free. But the only gluten I have is those tiny bits of toast which help me to eat something that feels easy and friendly in my gut. (I mean one or two less than 1/2 inch and 3" long slices toasted to be dry like rusk.) It's one of the only foods I can tolerate.
They are so much nicer than gf bread which I tried.

Has anyone tried strict gluten free and did it help?

I wish I could even eat the low FODMAP list of foods. That would be a feast

#2 Ilyria

Ilyria

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 April 2021 - 10:26 AM

Hi Silviegee
So sorry that you are hurting like that. I hope things get better for you. Gluten free helped me when I was in a really rough place a couple of years back. The thing is that even though I don't have celiac d. I do have gluten sensitivity and that is why it helped me. I can eat(and do eat) normal potato bread if I want. The same goes for pasta and other things with regular flour. I just make sure not to eat too much in the same day(for example if I eat pasta then no bread for me that day). I am on modified low FODMAP for a long time now and it works for me.
I think you should listen to your body and follow your own food diary-if that toast bread works for you then go for it. Try different fodmap groups and reintroduce things slowly. I know there will be things that I'll probably never eat again but I try not to dwell on things.
That being said I must tell you that I also had SIBO and leaky gut. The things you describe sound a lot like that and I recommend that you look into it. IBS rarely comes alone and our bowels can take a lot of damage before we react. Mine were so thin and see-trough that the doctor described them like ricepaper riddled with needle marks after my colonoscopy. Leaky gut is a serious condition and it takes a lot of effort to heal them but once you do I believe you can expand your food choices like I did. Best of luck

#3 Silviegee

Silviegee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:22 PM

@Ilyria thank you for your kind reply.

And for your advice. I hope you are managing your situation. Leaky gut leads to all sorts of issues, and I hope you have found something that helps.

I have found that I'm fine on my little bits of toast, but if I eat even half a stick of celery (cooked) it upsets my gut. So it's possible (?) gluten in small amounts isn't a thing for me. It's true we have to listen to our bodies and keep those food diaries so we can see the links.

#4 Silviegee

Silviegee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:30 PM

I just posted above and it disappeared so posted again, now I can't delete the 2nd one  so am editing.

#5 flankking

flankking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 08:32 AM

Haven't tried a strict gluten free diet, I think I will give it a try

#6 Positiveside

Positiveside

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 03:05 PM

Gluten-free diets may improve symptoms such as abdominal pain, stool consistency, and tiredness, and they can be recommended to patients with IBS.

#7 Silviegee

Silviegee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 03:25 PM

I did try gluten free bread for some weeks but it made no  difference. The only gluten I was getting was my piece of toast at breakfast. I don't have cake cookies pies pizzas or anything processed that contains gluten, even hidden gluten like in sauces or some chocolate bars etc.

I tried eating normal toast again, just one piece at breakfast and no difference and no change either. But my friend said giving up gluten made a massive change for her so it's worth trying.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here