New symptom (for me) - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

New symptom (for me)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mellosphere

mellosphere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 01:52 PM

Advertisement
Hi, i have had diarrhea pretty constantly for many years but only recently did i start having trouble with heartburn. AKA gerd or acid reflux. What is your remedy of choice for heartburn? Its very annoying and can be quite painful. Tums havent seemed to cut it for me. Am open to suggestions. I havent changed my diet lately so Im not sure what caused this new development.

#2 AZGuy

AZGuy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 April 2021 - 04:53 PM

I take prescription Famotidine (higher dose than in Pepcid for OTC products). Its worked well for me.

#3 Ilyria

Ilyria

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 26 April 2021 - 01:52 PM

Hi Mellosphere
Acid reflux sucks..I don't have it anymore but I remember how annoying it was. They found my Gerd during endoscopy and my doctor prescribed some PPI-s for me. At the time I had SIBO too and that made things even worse. After 2 months of steady heartburn and a big dose of PPI-s I did another endoscopy and since the damage was evident despite drugs we decided that my problem might be a lack of acid instead of excess of acid. So I discontinued gerd therapy and started taking HCl. I know it sounds weird but the symptoms are very similar. I took acid in capsules for about 6 months until I felt it no longer helped me(if this is the case you will know) and I had another endoscopy after that and I had no visible damage/burns in my throat unlike the last two times. That was 2,5 years ago and I've had no more issues with this.
I'm not saying this is the solution for everyone or that you have this particular problem but it's worth thinking about..good luck
  • mellosphere likes this

#4 flankking

flankking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 09:14 AM

I have acid reflux too, sodas, coffee and spicy foods triggers it. My doctor also prescribed some PPIs for me

#5 mellosphere

mellosphere

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:04 AM

Hi Mellosphere
Acid reflux sucks..I don't have it anymore but I remember how annoying it was. They found my Gerd during endoscopy and my doctor prescribed some PPI-s for me. At the time I had SIBO too and that made things even worse. After 2 months of steady heartburn and a big dose of PPI-s I did another endoscopy and since the damage was evident despite drugs we decided that my problem might be a lack of acid instead of excess of acid. So I discontinued gerd therapy and started taking HCl. I know it sounds weird but the symptoms are very similar. I took acid in capsules for about 6 months until I felt it no longer helped me(if this is the case you will know) and I had another endoscopy after that and I had no visible damage/burns in my throat unlike the last two times. That was 2,5 years ago and I've had no more issues with this.
I'm not saying this is the solution for everyone or that you have this particular problem but it's worth thinking about..good luck

Wow thats interesting. And you dont have acid reflux anymore then either. Ill look into that. It is very bothersome.

#6 Positiveside

Positiveside

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 03:13 PM

Hi Mellosphere

That's interesting, never heard of this kind of case with lack of acid. I will definitely ask my doctor about this and have an endoscopy too. Thanks for sharing your experience

#7 Silviegee

Silviegee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 02:05 PM

I had IBS-D and it started to ease up. Right away I got GERD which gave me a hard time all through winter even though the lower gut had many better days.
Then when the IBS-D came back, the GERD disappeared. All on its own. It does that -it alternates between GERD and IBS-D. I don't understand why it either has to be one thing or the other, and when one is better the other is worse!.
Neither are very severe in my case and I don't want drugs or endoscopies. I have had stool tests and blood tests and all show nothing is wrong.

I am wondering if it's a motility issue in my case. When the gut speeds up it causes loose stools. When it slows down and all is well lower down, then higher up  it causes GERD. It seems to speed up and slow down beyond my control unrelated to food, activity or stress.

Does anyone else get an alternating pattern of GERD and IBS-d?

I definitely found that caffeine drinks (tea, coffee) and alcohol made the GERD worse.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here