Miralax, helping or not? - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Miralax, helping or not?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Displaced

Displaced

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 01:22 PM

Advertisement

I've had IBS-C for many years and tried several prescriptions. Nothing works for long, so I end up back using Miralax. Doctors have told me that if I take it every day, that will help even things out. I tend to have more or less an "all or nothing" cycle, with days of no bowel activity followed by a day with multiple incidents, ranging from just a few to more than I can remember, like 10 or 12. This seems to happen whether I'm taking Miralax or not, or how much and how often, which makes me wonder if it's really doing any good. I do take it almost every day, sometimes just half a dose, trying to see if that will lessen the swings. However, it doesn't seem to matter what I do. I sometimes have several days with one or two bowel movements—in other words, "normal"—but they're followed by a really heavy day. Alternately, I can go five or seven days with nothing whatsoever, again followed by a day when my system is hyperactive, on the same dosing regimen. I've wondered if I'm taking too much Miralax, but if I switch from regular use to occasional use, the pattern of response really isn't much different. It's possible that other factors are involved—diet, stress, physical activity. If I knew what was triggering my system, I'd have addressed it long ago. I keep a diary of what I eat, but I've never been able to pinpoint any food or minor ingredient that seems to correlate with either better or worse IBS. I tried the low FODMAP plant, as well as a gluten-free diet, but neither seemed to have any effect. I keep using Miralax because it MAY be helping my system move, even though I still experience swings from one end of the spectrum to the other. I've wondered if I should just stop using Miralax and see what happens. The only other option seems to be to try a prescription medication again, and my doctor has strongly suggested Trulance. It sound too much like Linzess, which I hated, and which eventually stopped working, so for now I've said no. 

#2 aries_wmn

aries_wmn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:24 PM

Most people with longterm C feel better if they take some sort of laxative daily, but I'm sure there are exceptions, so it's possible that Miralax isn't making a difference one way or the other for you.

For me, taking a laxative every day isn't enough to be normal, and the severity of my C fluctuates a lot. However, if I stop taking something every day I feel way worse. The only way to know for sure is to stop taking Miralax.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here